Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Weird keyboard issues after coffee spill.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:05 am 

Have a mid 2009 unibody 17" MBP, I spilled some coffee directly on the keyboard earlier today. Immediately saved everything, and turned off. Flipped it upside down, soaked up the residual coffee, then lightly blew it out with an air blower and let it dry. Booted up and everything worked fine, keyboard didn't work but thought if i'd disassemble and clean out keyboard it'd work. I took the bottom off and disassembled all components down to the keyboard and pried the sticker backing off and cleaned and dried all the keyboard components (Realized pretty quickly that I'd never get the keyboard back in exactly right :roll: ) So I ordered a replacement top assembly. While waiting for it I put everything back together and it boots just like normal, but I'm having some very strange issues on the log in screen. Using a USB keyboard i can't type some letters, H actually backspaces, and D and a couple others leave double characters. The really strange part about this is that it's an external USB and it shouldn't be effected by the onboard keyboard but it is, AND If I log into the guest account which is safari only and it type something, everything is normal, including my password which the first two letters of won't work on the login screen. Can someone tell me what's happening?! Is this something that will be fixed when I replace the keyboard? I just want to make sure it isn't the logic board or something (but why would everything seem completely fine in the guest account)

Post subject: Re: Weird keyboard issues after coffee spill.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

That is very strange. I've seen it before where the shift key would be stuck on the damaged keyboard and make the USB keyboard do everything in uppercase, but I've never seen it completely remap keys before.

Hopefully it'll fix it.. but I can't see what could be causing that behavior.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]