Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: MacBook Pro a1226 (Santa Rosa) No Backlight
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:26 pm 

I recently replaced the LCD screen on my MBP a1226 but when it booted up, there was no backlight. Put the old screen back in (it was working but with bad pixels), still no backlight. Read that LED driver board could be cause, so replaced that and the cable. Still no backlight. Can see dim images of desktop on the screen and remote monitor works fine. So what else could be the culprit? Cable seems to plug into something below the logic board at the upper left corner of the case. What is it, and could it be the problem?

Post subject: Re: MacBook Pro a1226 (Santa Rosa) No Backlight
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

That is the magsafe board and is usually the issue in cases like this. Replacing that should get you up and running.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:57 pm 

Replaced the Mag-safe board. Still no backlight, but oddly, it's now slightly easier to see what's on the screen, as if it's incrementally brighter. Also, the computer boots up much faster than it did before. Not sure what that's about.

One odd note, when I finished the job, I forgot to put the battery back in before I powered up. To my surprise, the thing booted. (I didn't think that was possible). I powered down and put the battery back in, and everything seems to be working normally, except the backlight.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:23 pm 

I've just discovered something I hadn't noticed before. When I wake the unit up from a "screen sleep", the backlight flashes on for a fraction of a second and then goes off, (or goes very, very dim). What does that indicate?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like a short somewhere. Usually that would be in the cable, but since you've replaced that and about everything else that could possibly be involved, all that is really left is the logic board.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]