Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: MacBookPro2,2 Battery liquid leak & Logic Board problem?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:11 am 

Hi all,

thanks to PowerbookMedic for the whole site! I love to have great info on how to not break everything on my computer while tearing it down :D

The story:
I have a late 2008 MacBook Pro. Model MacBookPro2,2. Last November (2009) I had a weird incident happening. I had left my laptop open and went away for couple hours. When I came back, there was a puddle of liquid below it. Basically it was the size of the laptop and then some. "That's weird", I thought. First I thought somebody had spilled something on it, but the top, or keyboard or anything else closeby was totally dry, so I thought my battery spilled it's liquid out. My battery was old and due for a replacement, so no biggie. After this, I let the whole computer dry for at least a day, after which everything was normal, except the battery was not recognized at all by OS X (as was premused, when battery totally blows it).

Now (before summer 2010) I bought a new factory battery (Apple) and the weirdest thing happened: My laptop recognized the battery, used it dry (off the factory charge) and then didn't charge it at all. So my laptop is using but not charging at all! I checked that the battery is good by trying it on my friend's macbook pro, which worked fine.

To try to repair this, I've tried all the tricks: PRAM, SMC, Battery calibration, even opened up the laptop and checked all the connections and made sure there wasn't any visible damage.

So now I basically the problem can only be either Logic Board or the DC-board. But I think it's weird that it uses the battery, but doesn't charge it... :?

Can anyone give any pointers as to where to look next?

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: MacBookPro2,2 Battery liquid leak & Logic Board problem?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:39 pm 

Ok, so can anyone guide me as to how technically Macbook Pro's battery gets charged? What components are involved, where the problem could hide?

I think I've ruled out the battery and charger. What other components could be damaged (and how to determine which one is it).?

Post subject: Re: MacBookPro2,2 Battery liquid leak & Logic Board problem?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

repolainen wrote:
Ok, so can anyone guide me as to how technically Macbook Pro's battery gets charged? What components are involved, where the problem could hide?

I think I've ruled out the battery and charger. What other components could be damaged (and how to determine which one is it).?

the battery charging is controlled by the logic board. That is where the PMU (power management unit) is located. If you have ruled out the battery and the power adapter, it is probably the logic board

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]