Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Replaced Lcd goes black after initial startup
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:00 am 

OK need some more help here. I ordered an LCD screen for my MBP (A1212) and replaced my cracked screen. When I went to start it up, it showed a low resolution apple icon with the spinning pinwheel underneath it and then when black. I called the guys at powerbook and said it might be a bad LCD. So they gave me a RMA number and I returned it. I called after a week or so and they confirmed that it was defective.

Round two - They sent me a new one and I replaced it again. The apple icon came up, the spinning pinwheel appeared (it looked like it was the right resolution this time) and then it went black again. waited about 2 or 3 min. Nothing. Rebooted it and the same thing occurred. I tied putting in the old broken LCD, it lights up and stays bright, although it is pretty scrambled it seems to be working. Am I missing something? How can it start up OK and then go black?

I know the guys at powerbook said they were having some problems with the A1212 LCD's. Maybe a bad batch or something. But I think they would check to make sure that my second replacement was working correctly. I could use some help here.

FYI - I can hook it up to external monitor and it works fine. The only problem is that I don't have my own monitor. I really need my MBP back.

Post subject: Re: Replaced Lcd goes black after initial startup
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:52 am 
Site Admin

so your original LCD still boots up to the operating system when its installed? and the replacement gets stuck?

If neither fully boot any more, most likely your OS has gotten corrupt from the starts and restarts. You can fix this by booting up to your install cd, and then running a repair permissions on your hard drive using the Disk Utility program in the Tools menu.

If it is just our screen that is having the problem, you may just want to contact the RMA department again and see if they have gotten a newer batch of screens in or arranging sending it back for a refund.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:32 am 

I'm not exactly sure if it boots up to the operating screen. I am unable to see anything on the screen. I cracked it pretty good. The only indication I get that it is working is the brightness of the screen. It boots up, then the screen brightens up and stays bright. I can also hook it up to an external screen and it boots up fine. Everything runs ok that way. What else can I check to pinpoint the problem?

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

It's hard to say. It is possible you have a rare revision LCD that ours are not compatible with or it could be a cabling issue. I would either take it somewhere or ship off the machine to us for free diagnosis or return a screen for testing and you can get a refund and buy a screen from somewhere else or if its defective, we'll try to find the same revision machine as yours and test it before shipping out another replacement.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:14 pm 

I talked to Shawn and he seems to agree that it might be one of the rare revision LCD screens. And I agree that it probably would be a good idea for you guys to look at it and let me know what is going on; so I am sending it out this week. I appreciate all the trouble shooting that you guys have done. I think that we might have figured it out. Overall, I am very pleased with your diligence in resolving this matter. Thanks again

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]