Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: spill = new logic board
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:22 pm 

So we bought our 13" macbook pro at xmas and everything was great until my wife spilled tea on the table last week. The tea went under the laptop and into it. I wasn't home at the time. The laptop was plugged in charging and was turned on. She wiped it down but didn't turn it off. When I got home I tried to turn it on and nothing. It was dead. I took the back covers off and I noticed some gunk on the logic board in 2 places. I got a q-tip and removed the gunk. I left it for a week to dry out but it still will not turn on. When I plug in the power cord the light flashes red in the cord. Looks like I need a new logic board. My question is how can I be sure I am buying the correct logic board? I have the serial # for the mac and I know its a 13". I can find the receipt so I know when we bought it and how much it was. Is there an easier way to find out which logic board I need to buy? Next question is where to buy it? I looked on this site and didn't see any. I can probably install the new one myself. Thanks

Post subject: Re: spill = new logic board
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:04 am 
Site Admin

There's three things to look at when replacing a Macbook logic board.

1) processor speed - this can be found on the sticker in the battery bay
2) processor type - the early ones were Core Duo and usually didn't say anything, while the newer Core 2 Duo ones will usually say C2D on that same sticker
3) 3-wall vs. 4-wall, Apple decided to get confusing and change the connection types on the board in the middle of production. The 4-wall is the older style and uses more of a standard socket type connector for the inverter cable and fan connections on the logic board so the connectors on the logic board have four sides. The 3-wall is the newer style and only has you guessed it three sides. The connectors still snap down, but it looks like they could slide in because of the one missing side.

If you bought it new this past xmas, it should be a 3-wall, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. You can use the Identify Model link at the top of our site for help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:12 pm 

Ok so this is what I found:

1) Processor speed: 2.0GHz/2x1GB/160GB/SD
2)It does not mention C2D on the sticker.
3)Not really sure about this??

I looked at the identify model link for the macbook pro and for the 13" unibody it doesn't list a 2.oGHz?

If I go to my local apple store will they be able to get me the part? Will it cost an arm and a leg? Do they insist on doing the install also if you buy the part from them?

Thanks,

I miss my mac :-(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:06 am 
Site Admin

what is the serial number on the machine and we'll check on the exact part you need and cost?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:25 pm 

Serial #: w88426ja1aq

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:42 pm 

Did you guys have any luck finding me a logic board?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:49 am 
Site Admin

Yea, the new board is $999, so not worth replacing it. If you can find a good used one, you may want to get that, otherwise, I'd just buy a new or refurb complete machine from Apple.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]