Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Success Story - LCD replacement
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:02 pm 

I just finished replacing the LCD panel in my Early 2008 Penryn MacBook Pro. The original panel was broken when a stack of DVD's fell off a shelf about 3 feet above my laptop and hit the open screen...

I ordered the new screen from PBM (thanks for the great price!) and received it very promptly. The screen was brand new and was an LG Phillips, identical to the original.

I followed the PBM repair guide and everything went well. Probably took me about 2 hours total - I was being very cautious.

Some feedback on the PBM repair guide for the MBP:

1) To replace the LCD panel, it's only necessary to go as far as removing the top case before you can start taking the display off the laptop. The order of the take-apart videos make you think you have to remove everything before pulling the display off. You don't. Consult the PDF guide version for more/different details than the video gives. Note: the PDF guide is written for an earlier version of the MBP -- it's not exactly correct for the Early 2008 MBP that I have.

2) The take-apart video for removing the LCD panel shows the use of a putty knife to remove glue on the edges of the LCD panel. This did NOT work for me. On my laptop, the adhesive was in a different area. If you're sitting in front of your open laptop, imagine putting a putty knife between the precious LCD panel and the thin aluminum border around it. That's where the adhesive was on my laptop. Since I was replacing my LCD, I could be pretty rough with the putty knife, not worrying about damaging the LCD, but rather, taking care to not scratch the aluminum frame.

Hopefully this will help the next person who tries to do this on their own.

Thanks again to PBM for providing the parts at a reasonable price as well as the repair videos and guides. Apple quoted me $1,200 to fix my laptop. With PBM's help, doing the work myself, it only cost me about $320 (including shipping and import tariffs.)

Cheers,
Iggy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]