Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Coffee spill into macbook pro
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:54 am 
A full cup of coffee (with lots of creamer and sweetner) spilled directly into the keyboard of my macbook pro (15.4 inch, 2.4GHz). I quickly turned it off & turned it on its side (to drain the coffee out). It made me sick to see coffee oozing out the ports. After drying the unit out for a couple of days with a fan, I turned it on. It booted up with no issue. I have not yet ran it through any programs.

My question is, should I send it to a laptop repair facility for cleanup? I'm worried more about the sweetner and creamer, than the coffee.

What repair facility do you recommend?

Thanks,

Geneseetom

Post subject: Re: Coffee spill into macbook pro
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

We don't work on the logic boards ourselves, but any place you send it is probably not going to be cost effective. I have also on numerous occasions heard of people spilling something on the board, it working fine, but being fearful, went in and tried to clean it and it stopped working at that time.

It is hard to say what to do. You can try taking off the top case if you think you are confident, and just check out the board and see if you see any problems (mainly corrosion). If you don't see anything, I would just let it go. It may die on you at any time, but it probably isn't worth the $300-400 to get professionally cleaned.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]