Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: dropped and dented my new Macbook Pro
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:20 pm 

Hi, I fell and dented my new macbook!!!

It was even in the protective softcase I got at Apple and in a totebag.

The frustrating thing is that it was the zipper on the case is what did the damage! It certainly didn't do a good job of protecting my computer!

In spite of the external damage, the computer operation seems to be fine.

But I'm left with a VERY slight dent on the left side near the front edge, between the two screws. And the plastic between the side and top has two cracks about 2/3" apart , leaving a piece which is slightly protruding. Finally, the corner of the work surface (near where my left hand sits) is up about 1/6" from where it should be. I'm sort of surprised such a small dent caused that much damage.....

It appears that the impact bent the surface which in turn pushed something inside that caused the plastic between it and the work surface to crack which pushed the surface up.

But it really bugs me to see it that way! And it doesn't close as flat as I'd like, and I've placed scotch tape over the edge to keep dust out.

My impression is that if the dent were pushed out, everything would just fall into place. It really is a very slight dent...Alternately, I'm wondering if I were to unscrew the screws, if that would allow me to push it back in and then rescrew...

I went to apple, to see if they could do that for me, but they said it would be expensive. I asked if I could try to do it, and they suggested going to a certified apple repair place that would be cheaper then they are....

They suggested not opening it because it would void any warranty left on the computer (although I thought I'd already voided any warranty by dropping it -- the person wasn't sure ....)

Does anyone know if I can try to open it, or pull out the screws without doing further damage or without Apple noticing if they have to go in for some reason later on?

Would I need anything besides a skinny phillips for the outside screws?

Thanks,
Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:28 am 
Site Admin

yea pretty much any applecare is void when you dropped it so nothing is really stopping you from opening it yourself.

the problem with that metal casing is it is tough to get it bent back to the original condition. it is always going to have a little warping or crease there.

it is pretty much just phillips for the outside screws and T6 for most of the inside screws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:54 am 

thanks so much for answering...I've been walking around with scotch tape on that corner to keep dust out and such...maybe I'll finally take the plunge and venture into the inner sanctum. Fortunately, my macbook seems to still function. Everyso often is seems to go a little slow, and I wonder, but since it is sporadic - I tend to think it is something else. Anyway, thanks again!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]