Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Seemingly dead Mac Book Pro Diagonstics
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:07 am 

So, my cousin dropped his MBP a few months ago in a puddle of water and has just now given it to me. He never took out the battery for all this time. When I was given the computer, it wouldn't turn on at all. I stripped it down to the logic board ( quick info: My mom has a MBP of the same model but of a different CPU clock rate, so I have that board and machine of known working parts to test with) and found surprisingly little corrosion. I determined the DC-IN board was faulty and have since ordered a new one, although that didn't solve the problem. The mag safe light never shows any lights at all even with the new DC-in board. I know the keyboard in my cousins machine (at least the power button) doesn't work, because it fails to boot my mom's known working board. I know how to short pin 3 of the keyboard connector to ground to boot (I did this on my moms to test) but that doesn't work with my cousin's. I've washed my cousins board and considered baking it (are you supposed to bake these models?) but washing helped none. I have been testing resistance on components of my moms board and comparing to that of my cousin's board and found a few potentially faulty components on my cousin's board. Here is my photo bucket library depicting these components.

http://s933.photobucket.com/user/alkenerly/library/

The white chip with "IC" written on it is by the DC-In board plugin and shows no continuity across it.

The black SMD's labeled 68 C15 all show a resistance of 1 Ohm whereas the same chips on my mothers board show no continuity at all (although they are labeled 68 C12). The orange chip is actually knocked off of my mom's board and it has made the trackpad not respond, although I probably should make a different thread for that problem, does anyone know what that is supposed to be? Could anyone help me with my problems? I hate giving up and it will take me a loooooong time to call a board totally dead. Where can I find any schematics of at least the power circuit of these boards? Can anyone shed any light on the role these chips play in the circuit?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]