Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: iBook G4. Randomly shuts down
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:34 am 
I'm having problems with my Ibook G4 1GHz. When I am using it, i will randomly shut itself down. I haven't a clue what is wrong with it. I have tried resetting the PMU several times, but it still has the problem. Even on a full charged battery this happens. It also occasionally freezes up but i think that could be the HDD.

Any Help?

Post subject: Re: iBook G4. Randomly shuts down
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:13 am 
Site Admin

If you have time during a boot, I would probably go poke around the log files and see if you see any errors before a shutdown. It sounds like it could be an overheating problem. If it works longer when you start it cold, that would lead more to that being the cause.

Post subject: Re: iBook G4. Randomly shuts down
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:59 pm 
I have the same problem. The shut down happens shortly after turning on the computer.

Six months ago, I sent my computer to the apple depot, and it came back with a new logic board, hard drive, and airport card. These mysterious shutdowns happened twice in the last two days. I did look at the console but cannot decipher it.

Also, within the last two weeks, the screen mysteriously goes near-black. If I angle the computer I can still see enough to restart the computer, which fixes the display. I think this may be an inverter/reed switch issue? Is there a way to know which one? Can I troubleshoot it?

Any help you can provide would be most welcome. If I know for certain it is the cable I can buy one from you and install it myself.

-EM

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]