Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Oxide on 15"'s wrist rest area
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:06 pm 

Ppl, I'd like to be told something about warranty regarding this.

My Powerbook is about 9 months old, and couple months from now, I started to notice some green oxidation dots exactly where my wrists rest while I'm typing. I've tried to remove'em with an Oxide Dissolvent from Wurth, but while the general aspect has become move vivid, the green dots are still there.

So, that is, I'd like to know if my warranty applies for this, as it's quite an annoying issue. The whole PB still looks like I received it yesterday, and I'd like to correct this.

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

Apple may take it back as a defective case issue, but most likely they'll tell you it is user caused.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:58 pm 
Thanks for answering, Bradley.

Actually, it really seems to be caused by sweating, as mine has a quite high pH score. Anyway, it's made from aluminum and should not oxidate. We use aluminum window frames in my whole house and I live in one of the worst cities in the planet in salinity levels, and they are about 15yr old without any need for mantainance.

Do you or anybody know a way to clean or minimize the oxid dots on the wrist rest? My other way would be changing the whole upper plate, and I do not feel like doing so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

There is no cleaning solution that I know of. We'd just replace the top case.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:46 pm 

I have this same problem and it just makes me sick. I'm being completely serious about this. I'd be even more ripped if I had gone for the more expensive 15" or 17" and not the 12. I have seen people use, and have used myself cheapo PC laptops that have been subjected to years of perspiration on the wrist rest area. They show no wear, but on an apple powerbook... to have black dots in all different sizes and forming lines now like some kind of drunken pointalism? Give me a break. Apple should be fixing these as fast as possible. Or include the legal print that this can happen (which they would obviously never do). I'm a very clean person and I own plenty of high end electronics/instruments etc. I know my stuff when it comes to taking care of a quality piece of equipment. There is a huge thread going on in the offical forums on this, under the 15" Al. section. I'm very very surprised that Apple hasn't deleted the thread by now because if I were on the market for a powerbook, or _anything_ apple for that matter, I would be completely disuaded by the way apple is treating it's customers. Hell, I've switched two friends in the past 3 months over to Apple but I told them to stay clear of the powerbook and the current ibook line suits most casual users just fine anyways, BUT my only reason for even adding to apple's profit margins by pulling these people in is because I don't want my phone ringing at all hours because windows broke. I know I'm ranting and my opinion of the Aluminum powerbooks is that they look great but there are obvious problems with the design on the inside. Why should my wrists be perspiring when all I'm running on this 1Ghz PB12 is: Safari(1 tab), iTunes and *nothing* else except for the background tasks and none of those are out of control. /rant off.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]