Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Will only start under certain conditions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:56 pm 

I was brought a 1.25 GHZ AL Powerbook that would not start. I found that if I unplugged it removed the battery and disconnected the PRAM battery. I coud reconnect the AC then and it would start. If I shut down it would not restart until I disconnected the AC again.. If I shutdown and reconnected the PRAM battery it would not start until the PRAM battery was disconnected. If the PRAM battery is disconnected and the LI Battery is in place and AC disconnected it will not start but if I then reconnect the AC it will start. If LI battery is in and AC plugged in, both must be disconnected the reconnected in order for it to start. When I say it won't start I mean nothing happens just AC connector light is green. Battery indicates full charge but its probably a old one.

Post subject: Re: Will only start under certain conditions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:13 am 
Site Admin

So it sounds like you must remove all power sources before it will restart. Everything must discharge before it can properly reset and boot.

I'm not sure if you tried it, but if you just leave the PRAM disconnected, does it boot up every time? If so, I would replace the PRAM. If it still has issues, it is probably some issue with the power management unit on the main logic board and it will probably require replacing the logic board to fix.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]