Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: 15" al pb won't charge or power up
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:09 pm 

I have a 1.67 ghz/1gb 15" al powerbook.

It's about 5 years old. I still have the original battery, it's no good. I pretty much used it as a desktop, plugged into ac power. Unplugged, it would run about 10 minutes.

About 2 weeks ago the ac plug broke. It sat, with the battery in, for about 2 weeks until just now when I got the new cord.

Odd things that have happened :

When plugged in, the LED lights on the battery do NOT light up. When it's plugged in I can push the button on the battery and get a super fast flashing LED light for a few seconds. If the AC is NOT plugged in, I get nothing. So it's recognizing something when the ac is plugged in. It's just not charging it. Battery is completely junk I suppose?

However, when the battery is out, when I try to power it on using AC power, all I get is fans on overdrive. Nothing on the screen, no chimes, just overdrive fans.

Issues that I had BEFORE it sat :

When the computer died or I shut it off I would have to let it sit on ac power, charging, for at least 30 minutes before I could power it on.

It would also tell me that my computer's date was set to a date/time BEFORE December 1969.

Any advice? I took it into my local Apple store, they spent 5 minutes tops, and told me "Sorry, it's junk." I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on so easily. I'm not going to stick a ton of money into it, if it's the logic board, I'll just consider it a loss.

Post subject: Re: 15" al pb won't charge or power up
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:51 am 
Site Admin

it does sound like the battery is bad. the full speed fan issue is typically a logic board problem as well. you can send it off to us to be diagnosed for free, but repairs will probably end up being more than the machine is worth. the date issue means the PRAM battery is dead. It may be able to be recharged once it gets a good consistent power source, but that may need to be replaced as well.

Post subject: Re: 15" al pb won't charge or power up
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:21 pm 

Thanks, I replaced the PRAM battery last night and no change. Looks like now I need to figure out how to (hopefully) get my stuff of the hd and look for a new computer.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]