Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: problem unknown
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:42 am 

ok guys heres the deal my wife powerbombed my old g4 so I had to piece together a new one so I bought a used g4 15inch 1.33ghz the only issue was the logic board or so I thought the previous owner droped it once and the screen decided it wanted to split it self and show half sometimes blank black strips the next I automatily assumed he was correct the logic board was damaged so I put my old logic board in but to my dismay the same issue was still there however I again assumed it was my logic board since it too had been violently mistreated however I just bought a brand new logic board and it still does the same thing all the way through boot up it will show the screen perfectly but once the gray loading screen is gone the screen splits and I can only see 1/3 of my screen its freaking me out because with each board it acts the same even weirder when I adjust the angle the screen is sitting at the screen goes black and my fan and hd seem to go crazy making noise until I unplug the power and battery my only thought is that the inverter board and or lcd cable is bad I can't imagine the lcd actually causing these kind of issues please anyone with some insight as to what is going on please help me out

Post subject: Re: problem unknown
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

the 1/3 issue is a common LCD problem. The fan and hard drive going crazy wouldn't be related to that though. You may want to reapply some thermal paste between the heat sink and processors as it may have gotten bad with all the replacements.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:27 pm 

thanks I'll see if the paste helps but should I replace the inverter board and lcd cable to deal with the screen tilt issueor isit the lcd itself that dosent like to be tilted

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

the display cable carries the picture and the inverter cable controls the backlight. so whichever you are having problems with when tilting the screen will probably lead you to the culprit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:29 pm 

new info to add to this equation it seems that the screen has power over the logic board how I don't know but when starting up if the lcd is not perfectly upright it won't start up its kinda creepy the logic board displays video out to other machines fine and all other functions are fine but I was wrong its only the fans that start spinning faster no other part acts up but I do smell something when it acts like that like a slight electric burn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:38 am 
Site Admin

sounds like there is a short somewhere. It could be one of the cables going up to the screen has some bare wire touching the chassis or something wrong with your logic board.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]