Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Keyboard Not Functioning after HD replacement
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:46 pm 

Replaced a friends hard drive in his 17" 1GHz Powerbook.
Installation went great - took extra time & care during the procedure - as I've worked on other Powerbook (and MacBooks).

However after a successful bootup - I noticed that some of the keys on the keyboard were not functioning.
Since his keyboard had several keys broken - I suggested he replace the keyboard also.

Well after buying him a new keyboard and replacing (again taking care with the installation) - I was surprised that NO keys on the entire NEW keyboard are working.

Well I re-opened and checked all the connections - especially the ribbon cable that connects from the keyboard.
Still nothing.

I even re-installed the previous keyboard (which at least had SOME of the keys functioning) thinking perhaps this new keyboard was defunct - but now NO keys are working on this keyboard either.

I'm thoroughly perplexed here - any suggestions?

Joseph Yates | Maui Hawaii

Post subject: Re: Keyboard Not Functioning after HD replacement
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:28 am 

It is real easy to not plug the keyboard in right, go back and make sure by gently tugging on the ribbon to verify it is locked down, if the ribbon is not in and seated properly don’t forget to release the lock, I’m a senior and I needed my magnifier glass to see as everything is micro.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:32 pm 

You're right about that... I too had to get out my trusty magnifier to be able to see what's going on.

When I pull on that ribbon cable though it does come out - was never able to lock it down - once the cable was in - the clip lock isn't able to secure it fully - I got it as tight as I could and then with the orange tape secured it in place.
I assumed as long as the metal contacts on the end of the ribbon cable are in (and stay in) contact with the the corresponding contacts in the connector - then it should work...

If this is the problem - somehow the ribbon connector is not in there completely "locked down" - is there any solution?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:09 pm 

It is tricky but if the slide lock-down is out when you insert t he ribbon on you should be able to push the slide lock in (it only moves slightly), there is not much pressure but if the pressure is not there you can build up corrosion on the terminals and it will loose contact, do not put too much pressure on the plastic that holds the ribbon down you may damage the clip! The clip does not apply much pressure on the ribbon cable so don’t pull to hard on the ribbon or it will come out every time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:33 pm 

Hello,

I had the same problem, except that the clip has broken on one side and come out totally. Any ideas as to how I can fix this?

thank you.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]