Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: optical drive conundrum...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:41 pm 

Hope this is the right spot. I have a ever-falling-further-into-disrepair 867 Mhz 12" g4 Alubook. I recently got a great deal, on a used, in pieces, 1.5 ghz model with broken optical drive. I thought...sweet I'll swap drives and have a killer, newer, faster laptop without buying a macbook (which I'd love).

So I did it, and just put my old HD in (doh!) It didn't recognize any CD's or DVD's when I put them into the optical drive because the hardware profile was for the 867. I figured okay, I have another HD so I'll put the 867 mhz back together and do a target disk install of leopard on the new laptop and call it good. But now, with the 867 back together it won't recognize any sort of disk put into the computer. In disk utility it will mount and say **gb MATCHITACD (** being whatever size the disk is), but the disk won't actually mount in the Finder.

Did I somehow kill my optical drive, and how?

I could buy a new optical drive for the 1.5, but I'm wondering if it will give me the same problem (ie not recognize disks because of the hardware profile screw up, and if so how can I boot from the drive to install an OS)

Please help. I ordered a new combo drive. It will be a few days. I'm stuck. Can't install OS because I have two PPC's with non working drives and my iMac is Intel so no dice installing onto a APM formatted drive...
Thanks

12" powerbook g4 867, 12" powerbook 1.5Ghz, Late 2006 iMac 2.16 Ghz (Intel) Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]