Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Inverter dies after booting
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:15 am 
Okay - I replaced the screen in my Alu 15" with no problem (the original backlight was going dim and turning yellowish). Put everything back together and it looked good. After a few days the screen flickered and died within a minute of booting.

The symptoms implied that my inverter went bad so I got another - installed it with no problems - booted - about a minute after completing the boot process - the backlight flickered and died.

Since it was a used inverter then maybe it was marginal so I got another - installed it - booted - the CCFL flickered and died!

I now have three dead inverters - the original, the first replacement, and the last attempt.

Any suggestions on what could be the cause? The display lights up fine (until it flickers and dies) and the image looks good so it does not seem to be the replacement display unit. Does the inverter really do anything more than condition and provide the right power to the backlight? The only connections I can see out of the device are power to the CCFL. Could there be a problem with the power/signal coming into the inverter? What provides that??

I really do not want to replace the mother board or whole powerbook so if we can identify a cheap fix to the problem I would really be a happy Mac user!

Post subject: Re: Inverter dies after booting
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Well something is shorting out the boards. Odds are it is the inverter cable, but you can't really rule out the LCD or the logic board.

I'd probably take it to a professional at this point.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]