Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: 17" Display Inverter Board fix temporarily?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:34 pm 
My PB 17" 1.5Ghz. Display went black with faded desktop image which can be seen with fashlight or lamp. I purchased a new inverter board. Followed some great instructions I found and was able to replace it easier than I thought. Put it all back together again and it worked beautifully for about 24hrs. I was using the PB and I pushed back on the display and the screen went black again. It seams that before I pushed it back I could only open the display 90˚. After it went black I can open it up more like 105˚.

I have opened it back up again and do not see anything in the hinge area that appears damaged. I double checked the display connection to the logic board and all seams OK. Before I go through the process of opening up the display again I am looking for some advice as to what the problem could be? Inverter cable? Inverter Board, again? If it is the board again, what is making it go bad? Logic board? If so, I won't fix and connect it to an external display.

Please help, I thought I had it fixed.

Post subject: Re: 17" Display Inverter Board fix temporarily?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:16 pm 
OK, I have opened up the display again. I think I have that difficult task down to science and it only takes a few minutes now. Those finger like grabber things are easy to get once you know how they work. I double checked all connections while I had the display connected and powered up. Nothing worked. I even put the old, bad, inverter board back in, and it still showed the desktop very faintly in the display.

Why would it work for 24 hours and then go bad again? Is the board now shot, what next?

I have it connected to an external display at the moment and it is working great but it makes it an awfully heavy and clumsy laptop.

Advise anyone?

Post subject: Re: 17" Display Inverter Board fix temporarily?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

It is probably something else shorting out the boards. If the inverter cable has been worn down in the hinges to the metal, once it gets power it can short out new boards. It is hard to diagnose without taking the cable out and inspecting it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]