Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mystery: Reluctant to boot after dropping it, oops
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:44 pm 
Ack, I dropped my 12" last month and since 1) the airport hardware is not detected (from the console log: AirPort Extra: no card found, exiting) and more seriously 2) it has now stopped starting up as normal. Or, it will make sounds as if it is starting up and running but nothing shows on the screen. If I hold the power button again, it goes silent. Also, if it goes to sleep it will usually not wake up. I've reset by removing the battery. It usually starts up better if I'm tilting it sideway and/or if I tap on it. Once it's up it works great, except as of today it sometimes starts up to a black screen with all sorts of fun nonsense such as the exception state, no debugger configured, and the last line on the screen is my fave: "Panic: We are hanging here..." Also as of today, there is sometimes (twice) a strange ding/beep after pressing the power-up button. It's unlike anything else I've heard come from it, and it seems like it sounds they way to warn you that all is not well. However, it still booted normally even after that strange beep. Last night I was able to have it up for several hours while I backed up with no problems...
From the system log: "sleep is not available; sleep is not enabled"
I'm guessing there are some loose connections, but does this sound like it could be something else? Please help! I'm not ready to sell this for parts or pay $500+ to get it fixed. I need to replace the superdrive too and was planning on opening it up... ideas? Thank you!! Erica

Post subject: Re: Mystery: Reluctant to boot after dropping it, oops
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:02 pm 
Site Admin

I would check the Airport first. There should be a door in the battery bay you can open and reseat the airport. After that, you'd have to open it up, but it may be a logic board problem.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]