Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: 17" powerbook loud whirring sound
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:41 pm 
I have had my 17' powerbook for over 2 years now. Recently it has started running really slowly especially if i try to run games that it used to cope with pretty well.

It has also started to make a loud whirring noise whenever it is being used for something that uses a lot of performance.

I was wondering what upgrades i need to get it back to a good level of performance to run a computer game...will buying another gig of ram help?

the laptop gets very very hot but im sure it has done this since it was brand new

any advice would be helpfull as i am not in the market for a new computer any time soon

thanks

Post subject: Re: 17" powerbook loud whirring sound
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:11 am 
i had a whirrring sound until i started using a laptop cooler i got at costco. by 17" sits on top of it and is cooled by a fan in the cooler. it gets its power by usb. cost about 15 bucks. made it run a lot cooler and no more whirring sound. i guess the whirring is from an internal fan, but not sure about that. hope this helps.

Post subject: Re: 17" powerbook loud whirring sound
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:37 am 
Site Admin

The whirring is going to be from the internal fans. The fan likely needs to be replaced as over time they accumulate dust and performance in general decreases. On the 17", the both the left and right fan come with the heat sink assembly. Replacing the fans and heat sink will likely cool your unit back down as well.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]