Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: PowerBook G4 DOESN'T SEE 1/2 MY RAM
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:57 pm 
My Aluminum G4, 15", 1.67 Ghz Powerbook has 2 GB of RAM installed, but only the stick in the upper slot is showing in the System Profiler. I've tried swapping them around, to no avail. You suppose the lower slot is bad? I got this computer lightly used...It works perfectly fine in every other regard and doesn't have a mark on it. I only discovered the RAM situation because I thought I only had 1 GB of RAM and had gotten another stick to bring the system up to max. Then I took the cover off and saw I had two...

Any ideas you have would be appreciated...Thanks, Jeff

Post subject: Re: PowerBook G4 DOESN'T SEE 1/2 MY RAM
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:45 pm 

Sounds like a lower slot issue. The good news is that Apple knew about this. The bad news is that you just missed their repair extension.
Check out http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2164

I don't know if the good folks at Powerbook Medic can help you, but they do carry logic boards.
Hopefully one of the PB medics will be able to tell you more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:11 pm 
That figures...missed it by a week. Anyone from PowerBook Medic know what the fix is and how much? I'm assuming Apple won't take pity on me, even though I've only had this computer a few weeks...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:23 pm 

I'm certain Apple won't deal with it. They used to be a lot better about that sort of stuff. They used to support their machines for life but those days seemed to end with the old 68040 machines. In all fairness, no other manufacturers seem to support anything older and the old Apple stuff keeps running long past what most would consider the machines useful life.

I do hope the the folks at PB Medic can help. The parts and instructions that I got from them got this old TiBook up and running again as well as my wife's Aluminum 15 inch humming along like it did when it was new. I did look up their parts selection and they don't have a 1.67 Mhz logic board for the 15 inch in stock at this time. I have no idea if they know of a component repair available. If they don't make it on to these forums you can always send them an email. What is shown on their website is a single 1.33 Mhz logic board in stock for like $500. It is a tick slower than the 1.67 but the 1.33 and the 1.25 didn't suffer from the lower ram slot issue like certain 1.5 and 1.67 machines did.

Best of luck to you with the AL PB. Let me know what you find out and how it all comes out.

For the record, I am not a PB Medic nor a professional PB tech. I'm just a Mac user from way back with some electronics classes under my belt and a lot of time tinkering with old Macs and PBs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:39 am 
Site Admin

The problem is a common issue affecting a lot of 15" Aluminum units. Unfortunately the only fix is to replace the logic board. Most people opt to max out the one good slot and use the machine like that as logic board replacements are quite costly.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]