Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Powerbook G4 display problem
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:49 pm 
Hi Guys,

I posted photos of my display problem here: http://www.kingaaraya.com/_hidden/

This problem manifested itself about 2 months ago. If I play around with the screen, it sometimes becomes perfect again. However, as time passes, it is becoming harder and harder to fix it this way. At first, a simple tap would work. Now I have to move the display around for 5 minutes before the screen returns to a normal state.

The screen is divided into 3 equal parts.
1. top - good
2. middle - black and sometimes white
3. usually white.

I am thinking it might be a loose or pinched cable, since I can still get the display to work properly at times.

What would be the easiest way to fix this???

Thanks,
xenakis

Post subject: Re: Powerbook G4 display problem
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:44 am 
I'm having the same problem. Did your screen also flicker a little? Anyone have an answer? I've seen some postings about inverters could this also solve this issue?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:13 am 
My screen does flicker if I tap it even just a little. The problem is not so bad this week. It seems to be getting better. I mean I still have the problem, but when I tap the screen it gets back to normal pretty quick. I just have to make sure not to move it again. Before, it would take about 5 minutes to get it right. Now, it takes only a few taps.

pancake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:18 am 
I'm having the same problem and am about to sell my computer because of it. (I've just bought a slightly used Macbook pro). I wanted to repair the problem before selling it and posted the problem on FIXYA – mac repair advice site - http://www.fixya.com/ and got some helpful responses - but nothing definitive - - one said video card is bad, but that didn't sound right - if something is bad, why does the screen work 95% of the time. Someone else said loose cable connection... maybe.. anyway, it seems to be looked at and I'll have to take my chances.The last expert suggest just selling it without fixing it and take whatever I can get for it - a couple of hundred bucks probably with an honest appraisal of the computer. I wish a few people would post their opinions or experiences with this problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:02 am 
Yeah, at first I was considering buying some parts from this site, but I'm getting no response, so I guess I won't since I don't know what I need!

Iv'e found a sort of temporary fix. When I have my laptop in front of me, if I squeeze the metal part of on the left side of the screen at about half way towards the top, the problom gets resolved. I have a feeling there is a connection there that is slightly disconnected.

The more I think about it, the more it seems to me to be a loose connection.

Does anyone know if there is a connection at this spot? Halfway towards the top on the leftside of the LCD? When I press here, it fixes it...

pancake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:35 pm 
Yeah, got the same problem and pressing on the left side halfway up seems to fix...although I am worried that continuing to push at the site of injury might make the issue worse :?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:07 am 

I'm having this exact same problem, and it's getting worse every day ! Isn't there anyone who has had this problem and found a solution ?

Thx in advance

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

That is a common issue known as the 1/3 issue. It is a defective LCD. It would require a new one to fix it. Sometimes applying pressure will temporarily fix it, but replacing it is in the only longterm solution.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]