Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Memory Problem?
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:43 am 

In a moment of misplaced thrift when buying my G4 laptop, I chose the one with the least memory. I knew it was a mistake at the time and four years later, and with the addition of music and photo files, my laptop runs very slowly. Everything from loading websites to saving Word documents to opening iPhoto seems to take a little too long. More importantly, I see that little spinning rainbow too often for my comfort- it gives me flashbacks to previous Mac Powerbooks going black and taking my data with them. Recently, I've had to force quit several times because the computer gets stuck in an application and that little rainbow wheel won't stop spinning.

How can I determine if the problem is actually inadequate memory and what is involved in upgrading the memory? Do I need to get a new hard drive?

Thanks for any advice.

ella

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:55 am 
Site Admin

installing new RAM is incredibly easy on an Aluminum G4. Essentially, there is a panel on the bottom of the machine with 3 or 4 screws depending on your model. Just remove that panel and the memory slot(s) are right there.

To determine if it is a memory or hard drive problem, you can go into your Utilities folder and run Disk Utility. You can then repair permissions and verify the drive to see if there are any errors. If everything seems fine there, I would just max out the RAM. It is extremely cheap these days, so there really isn't a reason not to max it out to make everything run faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:51 am 

Well, I ran verify on the disk utility. It says that the disk needs to be repaired. So I guess I need to take all the data off of my laptop and reinstall the start up disk. But I am still not sure if this is ultimately a ram or hard drive issue? Ram is the memory, but isn't it also possible that the hard drive is just too full?

Here is the information from the verification on the disk utility:

Capacity: 55.8 GB (59,877,387,264 Bytes)
Available: 1.3 GB (1,358,299,136 Bytes)
Used: 54.5 GB (58,519,085,056 Bytes)

Verifying volume “novalis”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume free block count
(It should be 397776 instead of 395663)
Volume Header needs minor repair
The volume novalis needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

Thank you!
ella

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]