Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Q4 Alu shuts down unexpectedly and needs PMU reset to boot
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:00 am 
Aluminum Q4 15" hard drive died. Replaced harddrive and restored from time machine. Every since restore machine occasionally shutsdown or refuses to wake from sleep. This seems to always be fixed by PMU reset. When I remove the battery to reset PMU laptop makes a strange bussing sound for 20-30 seconds.

I can live with the refuse to wake but the periodic shutdowns are killing me. Help!!!

Joel

Post subject: RE: Q4 Alu shuts down unexpectedly
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:03 pm 
Joel,

I have a 12" Aluminum G4 that shares the unexpected shutdown, but only if/when the power cable is disconnected. Is your PowerBook's issue related to whether or not it's battery power?

I have not had to reset PMU, or hear strange buzzing sounds.

I plan to send mine in for professional care because I suspect internal electronics problems.

Bryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:18 am 
Site Admin

The best thing to do in that case is to look at the system.log through Console in your Utilities folder right after it happens. It will generally give you a reason for the shutdown whether its an overheating issue, user command, etc.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]