Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Powerbok won't start up at all
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:00 am 
Okay, so hopefully one of the actual medics will be able to answer this.

I actually work for Apple, and have gotten some advice from a genius at work but I'm not sure what to do.

Basically, my PowerBook G4 15" 1.67 GHz High Res Screen model will no longer start up. I have tested both power adapters with other computers and they work perfectly fine. Also, when the battery still had a charge in it, the computer worked fine. The problems start when I connect a battery adapter to the computer. Neither of them will charge the battery. Also, the bezel ring will light up orange, but only when I push down on it and exert a lot of pressure. Also, if I take out the battery and try to run the computer off of just the adapter, it won't work.

I don't have any friends near me that have a charged PowerBook battery for me to try in my computer, and we don't have any computers this old in the store I work at.

I'm trying to figure out if repairing the computer is worthwhile. I am purchasing a new MacBook Pro regardless, but would like to give this Powerbook to my father.

So far, I have pulled the drive out of the computer and transformed it into an external hardrive with the use of an IDE. I also purchased a new hardrive for the laptop, but have not opened it yet.

So my question is this. Do you think it is just the DC in board that is causing the problems, and it could be fixed with just replacing it, or do you think it's the logic board? If it's the DC in board, I can replace it, install the new hardrive, and give the computer to my father. If it's not the DC in board, I'm not buying a new logic board, and I will return the hardrive to the store.

I just really don't want to waste $75 on the DC in board if you think it won't do anything, and the problem is the Logic Board.

I know this was a long post but thanks in advance for any help. I could really use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Usually if the power plug has a lot of wiggle, it is the DC-IN Board. If it doesn't light up at some angles and pressure, it is usually the board unless you have some case damage around that corner.

Typically a logic board problem would have a light on all the time and still not turn on.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]