Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Heat Sink Hell
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:54 pm 
Hello!

Thanks to your handy manual, I had a reasonably easy time replacing the Combo Drive in my brother's friend's PB (1GHz 12" Aluminum DVI).

Until, that is, I tried to reinstall the heat sink.

No matter how much or little pressure or torque I applied, I couldn't get the 7.5mm screws with springs to tighten or even catch. I gave up and decided to post here only after one of the screws, propelled by its spring, shot across the shop, probably never to be found again. And you don't seem to sell them.

In fact, looking at the remaining "screw" closely, I can't figure out how it could possibly work. It doesn't even appear to be threaded. It doesn't work if I try to screw it directly into the inserts in the logic board. I'm not even sure the inserts in the logic board are threaded. The screw doesn't seem to be like the Southco 5T heat sink screws I've dealt with in the past. Yikes!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, assuming I'm not screwed and the screw problem can be solved, shouldn't I either replace the thermal pad for the processor or possibly add some thermal grease?

Thanks.

Regards,

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

The board has a couple of prongs coming up. The screw with spring goes into that prong and catches to the threads inside. The prong can easily be broken off the board in some cases so given your description it might have that prong stuck in the cable.

They are a pain sometimes, and it is a horrible design. Usually even if they are broken you can get them on enough to stay.

Post subject: Heat Sink Hell
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:39 pm 
Justin,

Thanks for your reply.

The "prongs" were indeed broken off and very tightly attached to the internally-threaded "screws".

I replaced the "prongs" with a couple of regular 8mm screws inserted through the bottom of the logic board and secured with hex nuts.

The 8mm length allows the internally-threaded "screws" to be fully tightened and compress the springs to the same degree as the original arrangement.

One problem remains: The white thermal pad for the CPU is kind of a mess.

Do you recommend removing the thermal pad and either (a) replacing it with a new one or (b) using some thermal grease instead?

Mike

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]