Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: PB G4 superdrive replacement leads to obnoxious sound issues
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:02 am 
Heyo.

I replaced my faulty optical drive last week with a superdrive replacement purchased at PowerbookMedic. Replacement went fine, new drive functions beautifully, everything significant seems to be working fine. However, I get a repetitive clicking sound out of the right speaker (~5 clicks/second) whenever the speakers are active--sound works fine via the headphones, and the clicking stops if the system wakes from sleep or is turned on with the speakers muted. But if the speakers are on and not muted, the clicking can't be stopped without sleeping/plugging in my headphones.

I accidentally stripped a little insulation off of the signal wire for that speaker when disconnecting the logic board connector, and have since attempted to rectify same with electrical tape, to no avail. Disconnecting the speaker has also not solved the problem, although it's entirely possible that the open speaker connector is just picking up EM interference. All of the EM guards were replaced as normal.

Thanks for any help you may have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:43 am 
Site Admin

If insulating it back doesn't fix it, about the only thing you can do is replace it. What you need to replace depends on what type Aluminum you have. You may need a speaker assembly or a new top case.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]