Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: power surge fried the PowerBook
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:57 pm 
So I was out of town and foolishly left the PB plugged in although shut down. On returning, the PB won't boot, although pressing the power button does allow the shift key light to be toggled. Reports are that a major storm hit the area and the appliance clocks (oven/microwave) were blinking when we returned.

Battery is fully charged and seems to charge with power supply plugged in ... but again the only thing that happens when power button pressed is ability to toggle the shift key (and light). I've tried power management reset, PRAM, etc.

Is this indicative of a DC in-board issue, or should I be looking elsewhere for the problem (ie. logic board)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:26 am 
Site Admin

You will likely be looking at a logic board issue if the unit doesn't run from the adapter or battery.

-Bradley
Powerbook Medic

Post subject: powerbook g4 also fried
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:50 pm 
I believe the same thing happened to my daughter's PB. In addition, a CD is stuck ion the drive and cannot be ejected.
It is four years old so I am wondering what my alternatives are.
And how can I grab the contents of the hard drive?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

the hard drive is probably fine. You can just remove the drive, put it in a notebook IDE hard drive enclosure and plug it up to another computer to get your files.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]