Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Question about replacement LCDs for 15" PB
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:00 am 

I have a 15" 1.67GHz PB (non High-Res). It was dropped on the corner by the power adapter. The display now flickers and the lower 1/3 to 2/3rds of the display sometimes go black. Adjsuting the display angle used to correct the problem, but now that doesn't seem to work at all anymore.

For kicks, I took th whole thing apart, hoping it would be a loose display cable. But as far as I can tell the cable is firmly seated and no amount of flexing it seems to affect the picture at all.

But when I apply some pressure on the sides of the display along the edge, it will flicker and sometimes display a perfect picture again. I'm afraid that the display is probably the part that needs replacing and not a simple cable.

That said, I've been doing some research online and have been scouring eBay for replacement screens. My particular screen is a Samsung LTN152W5-L03, but I have also seen PowerBooks that use an -L01 screen and also a model #LTN152W1. I also see auctions on eBay for Powerbook screens from older Titaniums, but claim to be compatible with all models of powerbooks of the same resolution. These screens are typically cheaper. They are the AU Optronics B152EW01.

Is it true that these screens will work in my model PowerBook? Will there be any difference in image quality or brightness? I know that through the years, Apple would claim that it's newest PowerBooks had xx% brighter screens than their predecessors. Is this attributable to the screens themselves or to the inverters/logic boards?

TIA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

ya the 1/3 problem is typically the LCD itself. The titanium screens should be compatible with your model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:27 pm 

Actually, I think i fixed it(!).

Last night, while tinkering some more, I found that if I pressed the left side of the screen near the middle edge, the image stabilized and looked perfect. So what i did was take a thin piece of rubber, about the thickness of a bicycle inner tube and made a strip abut 3 inches long and 3mm wide, and glued a gluestick to glue it to the backside of the LCD in the area that I was applying pressure in order to get the picture.

Once reassembled, the rear casing presses against that rubber piece and simulates the same pressure I was applying. It works great! I don't get any flicker at all and at any angle!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]