Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lower 1/3 of display whites out after I dropped powerbook
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:50 am 

I dropped my 15 in G4 Aluminum powerbook and the lower 1/3 of the display flickers and fades out to white. When I apply pressure (with my finger) to the lower left area of the display, it flickers back on, but when I release pressure it fades back to white. Sometimes it works for a couple hours, but when I move the powerbook, the problem starts again.

It seems like it may be a weak connection in the display or display cable, and I read on another forum that I may not need a new display, just a cable. When I talked to a genius at the Apple store, they wanted $400 just to ship the computer back to Apple without a guarantee that anything coule be fixed.

Anyone have any advice on diagnosing and fixing this myself?

Post subject: Getting at the cable connection on the display side
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:24 pm 

Thanks Justin,

I have a pictorial pdf that shows how to disconnect my display from logic board, but I'm not clear on how to disconnect the cable from the display once I get the display removed from the rest of the powerbook.

Is the connection visible, or do I have to dismantle the display as well? If so, is there a guide on how to do this available?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:30 am 
Site Admin

The other end is connected to the LCD itself, and you do have to open up the display to get to the connection. Our take apart manual (Available from the link below) covers the procedure.

http://powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/custom ... hp?cat=412

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]