Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help, buying new powerbook?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:14 am 

I'm thinking of buying a new laptop, and I cannot decide between the new 14" iBook G4, Powerbook 12" 867mhz, or the Powerbook 12" 1Ghz. Please help me, I cannot decide which one I want, what is the best deal, and good configuration? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 2:59 pm 

It's going to be your computer, so our advice can only be so helpful ... no two people use their computers the exact same way for the exact same things.

In general, the new iBook G4 is an amazing machine for the price. If you don't plan to connect your laptop to an external monitor for extended desktops, the only real difference you're likely to notice is in terms of RAM. If you use RAM-hungry apps like Photoshop or one of the many digital video editors, you will want as much RAM as possible. Since the iBook can only take up to 640MB of RAM and the PowerBook can take 1Gig, that is where you'll probably notice the biggest difference. Again, unless you're working with big image files or huge movie files, this won't be an issue.

Yes, there are a few other differences, but the extended desktop and RAM are the only two that most "casual users" are likely to notice/care about.

One more thing ... according to the specs on the Apple website, the iBook should have much better battery life than the PowerBook. So, if you want to use a laptop away from an electrical outlet for a while, you might be happier with an iBook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

I agree. Casual users who only use their laptops for things such as surfing and everyday functions should stick with the iBook. The new G4 looks like an impressive machine. Graphics designers, game players, etc... would be better suited with the new Aluminums.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:52 am 

Thank you guys!!! appreciate replying to my post, that really help me a lot in deciding which MAC to buy, I would probably go for the iBook 14", it's an excelent machine for a better price.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]