Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Upgrading PowerBook to Panther (OS 10.3)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:29 pm 

I'm planning to upgrade my Pismo to Panther at the end of this month, and I thought I'd ask a few questions about the "best" way to handle the upgrade.

I'm currently running 9.2.2 and I've backed up all my personal files (but none of the system files) to an external hard drive. I want to install Panther on the internal drive (the internal drive has 7GB of free space left).

What is the best way to handle that?

Should I just insert the Panther install CDs and let it automatically handle everything?

Should I completely erase and reformat the drive and do a clean install of OS9.2.2 and Panther? If so, can someone point me in the direction of instructions for how I can do that? I have a fear that if I try to completely erase/reformat the internal drive I'll end up ruining things and them have to take it to a repair place to have them fix it and install OS9.2.2 and Panther.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:43 am 
Site Admin

We don't know all the specifics on the new release, but before you do anything backup all of your files. We're going to do fresh installs of the software (erase hard drives and start from scratch) as that is the most reliable way (in our opinion) of getting the most stable operating system. Upgrading should be fine too though.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:35 pm 

powerbookmedic wrote:
We're going to do fresh installs of the software (erase hard drives and start from scratch) as that is the most reliable way (in our opinion) of getting the most stable operating system.
-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

That's what I thought, so I think that's what I'm going to do as well. I also have a weird file that Norton flags every time it scans the HD. It's an unnamed file on my desktop (Norton identifies it as two square symbols back-to-back), but it doesn't show up on my desktop, so there's no way to delete it or anything. I think this mysterious invisible file on my desktop might cause a problem in the future if it goes untreated, so a complete reformatting would probably be a good idea for me.

So, do you know of any websites of resources that could provide me with a step-by-step process for reformatting my PowerBook's HD? I've erased and reformatted my external drives many times over the years, but I've never reformatted my internal HD with my OS because I'm affraid of doing something that would make it impossible for me to get my computer to boot up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:00 am 
Site Admin

It's simple. Boot from either an original or homemade bootable cd (We do this in OS 9 if possible as it is easier) Run Disk Utility (free from Apple) from the cd, and initilize the drive you want wiped. It should take 10 minutes tops.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:52 am 

powerbookmedic wrote:
It's simple. Boot from either an original or homemade bootable cd (We do this in OS 9 if possible as it is easier) Run Disk Utility (free from Apple) from the cd, and initilize the drive you want wiped. It should take 10 minutes tops.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

One more question (sorry if I sound stupid ... I'm just nervous about reformatting my internal HD that I'm using for my startup disk).

Is the original bootable CD just the restore CD that came with my Pismo?

Also, am I correct in assuming that after I reformat and re-install OS9 I will need to re-update to OS 9.2.2 before installing Panther?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:53 pm 
Site Admin

The restore cd is the cd that came with your computer. You don't even need to install OS9 if you don't need it. Panther functions independently and I'm not sure how much classic (OS9) support Panther will have.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:10 pm 
powerbookmedic wrote:
The restore cd is the cd that came with your computer. You don't even need to install OS9 if you don't need it. Panther functions independently and I'm not sure how much classic (OS9) support Panther will have.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

In that case, if I only use OSX-compatible software and I don't need classic (OS9), what is the process for reformating and installing the new OS? Do I still use the original restore CD that came with my Pismo, or is there a different method I should use when my Panther installation CDs arrive at the end of this month?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:33 am 
Site Admin

You don't need the restore cd is you don't want OS9. When panther comes just boot up from that cd, and install. You will be able to format your drive from the Panther cd.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]