Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help for first time Mac Powerbook owner
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:09 am 
Hi, I just got my first Mac and it is a used G3 Powerbook and I know NOTHING about it and it did not come with a manual sooo I don't even know how to check just which kind of Powerbook it is to get further help ex: I see Lombard, Prismo etc but do not see any of these on my Powerbook. How do I find out what kind it is? Also I have a Mac for dummies book but that does not show any pictures of the ports on a Powerbook and I do not know any of them other than the adapter and mouse ports.
I appreciate any help you all can give.

Post subject: Help for first time Mac Powerbook owner
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:11 am 
There's a couple of things that could help.

Firstly, what color is the case? PowerBook G3s & earlier have a black molded plastic case, Titanium PowerBooks have a metallic-looking case.

On the bottom of the case, near the serial number, there should be some kind of description of the 'Books configuration. I have a 1999 PowerBook G3 (Bronze Keyboard) (aka Lombard), and its configuration description says
"400MHz/1MB Cache/64MB/6GB HD/8MB Video/DVD"

This was its as-built hardware configuration (processor/L2 cache/RAM/Hard Drive/Video RAM/optical drive). Of course, it might currently have more RAM/hard drive space (mine does). You can get additional information from the Apple System Profiler after you boot it up. If you're running Mac OS Classic (ie 8.6, 9.2, whatever), pull down the Apple menu (upper left), find Apple System Profiler & click it. If you're running Mac OS X, pull down Apple menu (again, upper left), click on About this Mac (or something close to that) & it will give you a window with minimum information. There's a button to click to run the equivalent of the system profiler to get detailed information.

Do these things, post them here (be a little selective, Apple System Profiler gives *lots* of detail), & we ought to be able to narrow it down quite a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:07 pm 
Site Admin

Ditto :-) Plus go here, it may help:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify.html

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:05 pm 
Hello again,
Thanks for the replies. Ok this is what is on both the bottom by serial # and again under Profiler "Powerbook G3 Series" and that is all, which is fine and I have figured out some of the ports etc. Now I have been trying to add software and that is not been so easy grrrr... I tried to add a word processor of some kind 9it only has a notepad) and tried a few different ones. The one that has spacific directions for a Mac is my Solaris 5 and I do not get a prompt to type in the code for it to load so if anyone knows about the type of powerbook I have please let me know how to load something. I have clicked on the setup and exe file folders when the CD in in the slot but they don't do anything but show more folders inside. Oh it has Mac OS9 installed.
Again my everlasting gratitude to all who help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

Well, here's the problem...Macs don't use .exe files...those are Windows files, and you can't use windows files on a mac unless you have an emulator such as Virtual PC...which won't run well at all on your powerbook. Solution...you have to use macintosh specific applications such as Word for mac or simpletext.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]