Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Powerbook Display Issues 1.67 Hi-res 15"
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:40 am 

Hi there, can anybody help or suggest? I have my PB and it has incredible display issues. I was/am running Leopard though you cant see it anymore. For the majority I get the startup screen clear(with apple) and then leopard screen is a mess, but its in little 1cm blocks of individual and repetative distortion. Its not white lines, just identical little scrambled boxes...very symmetrical. I routed through VGA and get a better looking screen but still screwd up and the same thru Svideo. The odd thing is, occasionally, even though the screen is a mess, if I open up 'about this mac' or 'system preferences', they are crystal clear....for a few moments.
I have done the following, repair disk, fsck, reset pram, changed ram to official mac, new inverter board, new display cable, new inverter and antenna cable and none has changed it. I recently decided to take out the logic board and it appears that the previous owner did the same but I dont think he reinstalled the board with the thermal paste..or maybe did but if so, he did incorrectly. I dont have access to the original(and apparently one type only) hardware test dick for this model. I am really hoping its not the logic board....as there is just no way I can afford a new one. Kinda happy right now that I kept my trusty 800Mhz G4 ibook as a backup!
Anyways, any light on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Oh, I also tried to back it down to Tiger...and when I install the OS disk and restart.....it only returns to a pure blue screen(crystal clear mind you) but it won't let me remove leopard.

Post subject: Re: Powerbook Display Issues 1.67 Hi-res 15"
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Does it have the same problem on different screen resolutions? You can try a lower res and see if it fixes itself which may mean a VRAM problem.

Either way though, it is most likely a problem with the video chipset on the logic board especially since you have the same issue on external displays.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]