Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: spilled the juice on my keyboard of my G3 powerbook
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:26 am 
:lol: I am at a loss to know what all the G3 powerbooks are all about in that I have one that does not come with an interesting subname like Wallstreet or Pismo or anything like that. Am I an outcast?
I sure know what types of ports and it has a 6gig HD and even fireports.
but who cares since I have another problem other than not knowing the name of my G3 powerbook.

I had a spill.

I had no clue what to do immediate few minutes except to blot dry.
the next day none of keys work.
After spending many hours going through many sites I have come to the following conclusion.
Detach the board and soak in pure water. Swish a bit. Do this before anything has a chance to dry Get the stuff out before the salts and all the organic acids begin ( grape juice ) to dry in.
let dry for a while many days at room temp. Keep your hair dryers in the closet since heat is as bad as the dam acid.
Retry the board after about 4 days of room tem drying. If you have a pure air source high pressure (room temp) you can dry between the keys to speed things up a bit.
What not to do: don't quick dry by following alcohol (100%) since it will hasten the drying but also risk removing lubricants. Also do not follow alcohol with xylene or something that is a good organic solvent since it will also do a job on plastics.
Do not sit and pray.
Do not call applecare. They are nice people but losers in many respects. They offer a tier 3 repair for about $1100. Thanks
Do not order a replacement keyboard from Applecare. I tried 4 times and nothing has arrived. They are consistent in that they have no idea why. My guess is they are out of inventory. Out for good?
Who sells this type of board? Saw a few for sale on ebay but was clueless as to what type I have. That takes you back to the beginning of my message which is what is in a name? plenty
I can easily be the least knowledgeable person on board.
but even wise men spill juice. It comes with the comfort.
Slobs of the world unite, keyboards are a bigger problem than you think!
jaz

Post subject: type of powerbook
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:36 am 
Site Admin

well first try our identify page, you can view it at the link below.

Identify Your Powerbook

I'm not the old powerbook expert, so if its not on there which i think it should, i'll ask the more experienced technicians.

About the spill, if its real bad but not inside the powerbook, you can order a working keyboard from us. We carry keyboards for all models listed on that identify page through our online store.

Post subject: You've Got a Pismo - We've got the Keyboard
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:11 am 
Site Admin

If you have built in firewire ports, then you've got a Pismo. The odds are you only need a new keyboard, which we sell in our online store. I would reccomend in the future that you never put water on any component, as it damges it more and does not clean it. If you have any more problems or questions, then post away.

Post subject: removal of k/bd . ( splitting case )
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:12 am 
Jazz , it seems yoiu are not alone , I too have a G3 with no name , I also need to fit new keyboard , this I already have form a totally shot G3 , the great shame is , I cannot get the k/bd out , I cannot even split the case , get as far as the middle of the front edge , just in front of the mouse button and it don't want to move. I am afraid to use force , do not want to ended up with a bust case , any clues would be much appreciated ..

Trev ..( U.K. )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry for the late reply. We've been working to bring the online store back up. To find out the name of your powerbook G3, click on the link below:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify.html

We've just added some new take apart manuals to our online store that will show you exactly how to change the keyboard as well as take apart your entire unit.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]