Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pismo-bad hard drives??
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:45 pm 
Lucky me, I was given for free, a Pismo (400, 192 ram) Only the hard drive didn't work. OK so I tried to boot it up, can hear drive spinning, but only folder with question mark. Put OS X (10.1)in DVD drive, boots up, but no HD in the installer. So I take out old drive and put in 4 gig apple/IBM drive. Success!! Can load OS X, works. Shut it down. Turn it on a few hours later, Problems, a whole screen of text, ending with the phrase "we are hung" Reboot, works okay. The next reboot, back to blinking folder with question mark. can hear the disk spin but no boot, just clicks. Static? Damaged Drive?
Can still boot from CD but no HD shows up in the installer. Can the Pismo be
eating the drives? Or did I break it somehow? those little Notebook drives seem pretty fragile. The last odd clue is that the original 6 gig drive (well, the drive that was in it when I got it) has a COMPAQ asset tag on it. So maybe it was not even the original drive for this Pismo!
I'd be willing to buy a new drive, but I don't want to wreck it too!
Sorry this is so long...
Thanks for any help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

The Pismo can't "eat" hard drives, so it isn't you. You've just probably been very unlucky with your hard drives. The compaq drive is not an original, but it may work. In the installer, there is a drop down menu (maybe the File menu) in that menu is a disk utility option. Select this, then find the drive and format it. It should now be recognized by the installer. If that doesn't work then a new hard drive should fix you right up.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: Thanks, but i tried that...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:42 am 
Yeah, neither the original compaq drive, nor the Apple/IBM 4Gig show up in the disk utility. The 4Gig did but since the "crash" it doesn't. They get power, I can hear them spinning. Could I have pulled the connector cable too much so the drive is no longer connected? Is it possible for the hard disk to be not connected enough to pass data yet enough to draw power? Probably not. I have a feeling the 4gig drive was okay but I physically damaged it when i installed it... :oops:
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:03 pm 
Site Admin

It is pretty hard to physically damage a drive unless you throw it across the room. You may want to pick up a copy of OS9 and run the disk utility program on the cd and see if you can format the drives. Or, the smarter thing would probably be to just buy a larger hard drive. You most likely didn't damage any connectors.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject: me again
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:10 pm 
Okay, so I ordered a drive from you guys, 6 gig with os9 already on it, cause I didn't want to spend a lot of money these days (who does?) and I have os 10.1 and 7.6 but not 8 or 9. Anyhow I ordered the drive on monday and it arrived today! Put it in my Pismo turned it on and...folder with a blinking question mark! Put in 10.1 disk and Disk Utility says 5.59 GB B- media. The First aid options (repair and verify) are grayed out--can't use them! If I try and erase the disk the Disk Utility just quits and I'm back at the main installer screen. What do I do now? Can the hard drive cable be bad? The disk controller board? How do I check the other end of the cable, where it attaches to the motherboard?
Help!
thanks
--Matt

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]