Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pismo bites the dust
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:37 am 

Ok.....I tried to reseat the pismo G3's processor daughter card, after someone else had been into it. No go dead pismo. However the person that originally took it apart told me that when he removed the heatsink from the processor there was some kind of film or something inbetween the processor and heat sink he thought. Any ideas on this? Is there one? When I put it back together this supposed piece was missing, of course. I got it to start booting one time by holding down with a little pressure on the heat sink. Had the caps lock and num lock lights to come on and one boot. Now nothing. Any help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:53 am 

BE VERY CAREFUL! YOU COULD BE FRYING YOUR PROCESSOR !!!!

There is heat conducting thermal tape between the heat sync and processor to make sure the heat from the processor is transferred to the heat sync.

Without it, your processor will not cool properly and you could fry it very very quickly.

Thermal tape is available at Comp USA. However, if you want to go a better route, get thermal paste, which is a bit harder to apply but conducts better.

There's quite a bit of info on the stuff in this thread: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131

It's about a processor upgrade, but the idea is the same.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]