Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Reaseating Pismo processor
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:32 am 

Hello, new the the forum
Can someone steer me in the right direction?
I am looking for instructions on how to reseat (and if that doesn't work) install a processor for my Pismo?

Thanks much

Post subject: Right out of the service manual!
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:39 am 

Good morning, this is right out of the service manual, I omitted the pictures, but this should help, good luck!

Microprocessor Board and Heat Exchanger
Before you begin, remove the following:
• AC adapter
• expansion bay modules
• keyboard
• microprocessor EMI shield
1. Disconnect the backup battery from the I/O logic board.
Note:
To remove the backup battery, pull it firmly to the left and out of its holder.
Caution:
There is danger of explosion if the lithium backup battery is not replaced properly. Verify that the replacement battery is the correct type before replacing it.
Microprocessor Board and Heat Exchanger Take Apart
2. Remove the long Phillips screw from the bottom left side of the heat exchanger.
Important:
Do not remove the two screws holding the heat exchanger to the microprocessor board unless you are replacing the microprocessor board.
3. Pull up on the tab on the right side of the board to release it from its connector. The connector is along the bottom, right side of the board.
4. Lift up on the bottom, left corner of the heat exchanger and lift it up with the microprocessor board.
5. Pull the board to the right until the tabs on the left side of the board clear the slots in the stiffener.
Warning:
Do not flex these pieces or you could break the heatpipe or the plastic frame around the microprocessor.
Microprocessor Board Replacement
1. Tilt the left side of the board down slightly to engage the two tabs in the slots in the stiffener.
2. Make sure the hard drive tab is not caught under the microprocessor board when you replace the board.
3. Press twice on the microprocessor board to make sure it is firmly seated.

Post subject: Re: Right out of the service manual!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:31 am 
Thanks Reiddm

This worked after 10 attempts. Its difficult to know whether its the seating of the processor or some other problem. By way of elimination I got there in the end.

jon@dear.demon.co.uk

Reiddm wrote:
Good morning, this is right out of the service manual, I omitted the pictures, but this should help, good luck!

Microprocessor Board and Heat Exchanger
Before you begin, remove the following:
• AC adapter
• expansion bay modules
• keyboard
• microprocessor EMI shield
1. Disconnect the backup battery from the I/O logic board.
Note:
To remove the backup battery, pull it firmly to the left and out of its holder.
Caution:
There is danger of explosion if the lithium backup battery is not replaced properly. Verify that the replacement battery is the correct type before replacing it.
2. Remove the long Phillips screw from the bottom left side of the heat exchanger.
Important:
Do not remove the two screws holding the heat exchanger to the microprocessor board unless you are replacing the microprocessor board.
3. Pull up on the tab on the right side of the board to release it from its connector. The connector is along the bottom, right side of the board.
4. Lift up on the bottom, left corner of the heat exchanger and lift it up with the microprocessor board.
5. Pull the board to the right until the tabs on the left side of the board clear the slots in the stiffener.
Warning:
Do not flex these pieces or you could break the heatpipe or the plastic frame around the microprocessor.
Microprocessor Board Replacement
1. Tilt the left side of the board down slightly to engage the two tabs in the slots in the stiffener.
2. Make sure the hard drive tab is not caught under the microprocessor board when you replace the board.
3. Press twice on the microprocessor board to make sure it is firmly seated.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]