Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: newertech battery
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:11 pm 

Anyone tried one of these newertechnology batteries that are supposed to have 37% more capacity? THere's some good reports over at Apple discussions, but at $160, I can't afford to just be a guinea pig!!!

Any reports?

Last edited by maz on Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:19 am 
Purchased one late last year for my Wallstreet, and it lasted one charge cycle. More use time than my old Apple battery to be sure, but would not recharge. Replacement sent, it lasted a couple of months. I am now on my third. No real monetary savings as I have had to ship back two defective batteries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:10 am 

wow- that stinks!! That's the first bad report I've heard but that's a REALLY bad report!

OK- more research required!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:07 pm 

Well, I went for it and ordered one yesterday... I talked with OWC about the battery, and got the "we haven't seen any more problems than usual with this battery" line, which I pretty much trust... those guys are good. Incidentally, I wish they carried that battery here at powebookmedic, I would have bought from Bradley first!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:10 pm 
How is it working? I noticed with the three I have used, all fit into the bay differently, one loose, one slightly scuffing, and the last one currently in use, fits snugly , and scuffs quite a bit going in or out.
Just wondering how yours fits.[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:35 am 
I just bought a new PMU and the expensive Newertech battery. After installing the PMU I can't get the NT battery to charge at all! This is a brand new battery! I get NOTHING!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:00 pm 

It fits snuggly in the left bay... however, i would like to say it is working great and it WAS for a couple of weeks... 4-5 hours charge. But now (after only a month) I get 3.5 hours. Still not bad, but I thought I'd email OWC about it... they directed me to the following link

http://eshop.macsales.com/Tech/manuals/ ... oning.html

That link explains the conditioning process for the battery- something that was NOT included in my box, I don't know about yours. I did the normal charge cycle 2 times like I would think would be good for a new battery, but now OWC tech says that 5-7 times is needed. My battery is not getting any better after 7-10 cycles. It's not as bad as you guys, but still.

The last email exchange I had with OWC basically said, "yeah, these batteries are known to have problems if they are not cycled properly. Please let us know if you have more questions." So I told them I wanted a new battery... and they are sending me one since there's a 1 year warranty. Hopefully this info will help the new one.

Man, I even emailed them before ordering asking about these problems and they said "we haven't experienced any more problems than normal with these batteries." Then they don't include all - important documentation!!

Sorry for the rant, but I really hope OWC comes through for all of us here.

Did any of you guys get any documentation with your new battery? I got nothing but a receipt for my payment.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:39 am 
Nope, no documentation, just receipt. And they never clued me into the cycling thing either. Hmmmm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:20 pm 

well, a couple of guys at the apple forum are saying they got the documentation with their batteries.

It's really not cool for OWC to not include this, I just don't think any experienced computer user would think to cycle a battery THAT many times for best use!!

I have my return number and I'm sending mine back today!!! :x

Post subject: Newertech Battery
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:25 am 
I got one a couple months back, and it's worked flawlessly so far. Prior to that I used a BTI battery, and never seemed to get satisfactory performance from it.

Seeing 4+ hours from the Newertech so far, which is as expected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:29 pm 

sorry I never gave an update... I have a replacement now, and it's working right. I get a charge of almost 6700mAh, above the stated capacity (using XBattery as the utility to check).

I get just about 4 hours, depending on what I'm doing, but I have a BlueChip Pismo G3/900 upgrade, so I'm sure it drains batteries faster. Since I'm getting a better charge than advertised, I can't complain. I'd love 5 hours, but I don't think that's gonna happen on my machine!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]