Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pismo OSX 10.6-shutdown box, off, chime, startup, shut down
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:07 pm 
Yesterday Pismo started showing the "Shut Down" box over and over then shutting itself down. Seconds later, chime then white flash, then chime and gray screen to blue screen. A few munites later "Shut Down" box appears again, maybe 4 or 5 time before computer turns off. Moving computer can initiate a startup.

Installed newly initialized hard drive and tried reinstall from OSX CDs. Computer cuts off before much is accomplished. Also cuts off if an external drive is installed or removed. Impossible to use or test. At time AC adapter was not recognized. Zapped PRAM and pushed reset. No effect.

Any idea what part is malfunctioning?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

Haven't heard of this problem before. If you've done a clean install of your system, then you may want to try unplugging and then plugging back your processor...resetting your PRAM....etc. If that doesn't do it you may need a logic board or processor.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Post subject: Pismo OSX 10.6-shutdown box, off, chime, startup, shut down
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:18 pm 
I managed to install a fresh OS 10.2 on an empty internal hard drive last night and the computer ran perfectly. Used it for hours.

This morning when I picked it up it chimed, then chimed again, without being turne on. occasionally for an hour I tried to get it to boot and when I laid it down with the screen on the table and the keys perpendicular, it booted and has run OK for several hours except that it asks if I want to shut down. I say 'no' and it stays on. I am going to try presing on areas around the case to see if I can find a spot that causes an unsolicited action.

Can a cracked path in a curcuit board do this? Is there a strange virus about. I did copy my emails into the new hard drive last night.

Post subject: know a little more
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:12 pm 
By using every trick I could think of last night I succeeded in getting Disk 1 of OS 10.2 loaded on the newly initialized 20GB hard drive I installed. To my amazement the powerbook worked perfectly for the rest of the evening as I loaded the basic software I need and restored my e-mails. I was really surprised to think that software could cause the problems I was having.

PAIN AND AGONY
This morning when I got up to head for work and grabbed the computer from beside the bed it chimed twice but the screen stayed black. I took it to the office and tried to get it to boot. I succeeded when I placed the back of the screen on the desktop with the base and keyboard standing upright.

I took the Pismo to class and let it sit. A couple of “shut down” boxes appeared but I clicked “cancel” and it stayed on. Leaving class I carried the powerbook like a schoolbook with the heel of my hand against the bottom of the case under the firewire ports. This caused two chimes and it booted when I opened the lid.

Back at the office I resumed writing this message. I got a couple of “shut down” menus then discovered that I can consistently cause the “shut down” menu to appear by pressing the underside of the base under the start button. I did this 3 times. This leads me to question the A/C sound card.

During the evening I used the Pismo connected to a digital projector just to see how well it would work. I noticed that it was hit or miss whether external hard drives would be recognized and that once an external drive was disconnected sending me a messaged about possible loss of data. Once I tried to change the name of a file and got an instant “shut down” box.

Lee Hunter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

Lee,

It's a very odd problem. It almost sounds at though your power button is stock...which would cause the laptop to think it is always depressed and prompts for a shutdown. It could also be the power button is just shorting. It doesn't sound like the logic board or sound board, but it is possible. The first thing I'd try is a new trackpad, as that will replace the power button. It is definitely worth looking into.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Post subject: I give up
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:34 pm 
I see no way I will ever be able to make this thing work. I'll let you do it since, I presume, you can test the elements as you go along to look for defects.

Tell me what I need to do to send it to you. I will send two AC sound boards and two hard drives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

If you haven't already email us at support@powerbookmedic.com, and we'll get you fixed up.

-Bradley
POWERBOOKMEDIC.COM

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]