Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Grey Screen to nothing; no Chime, No Sound, No Start
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:31 pm 
Now my Pismo will not start at all. No chime, no HD spin up, and no fan, No sound at all.

Background: Own this PB G3 Firewire for three years. Loaded OS X in June. Problems I had was I had to take out my xtra RAM I had purchased a few years ago to get OS X to install properly. It did, I then reinstalled that RAM. All worked great for three months, then last week I watched my screen develop color vertical lines and then go grey. Restarts and PRAM resets were no help. I tried starting from OS X, OS 9, Disk Warrior, and Norton Utility CDs. Nothing would give me a good normal start. All I would get was the steady grey apple and then freeze there. Once I was able to start with OS X start screen, but could not select any start disk since the mouse cursor was frozen. At that time, this morning, I got the start up chime. Since then I have tried different congigurations of the RAM modules (total of 512 + 128 modules) to see if it was bad RAM or connectors, bad seatings, etc. I also disconnected and reconnected the PRAM battery. It tested at 6 volts, never been replaced. Is 6 volts a good PRAM battery?

Now, I do not get anything as written above. No chime, no screen, not other sounds coming as a normal startup sequence would be. But I do get the caps lock and Numbers lock keyboard light on those keys when pushed indicating there is power available to the keyboard and giving me some indication that the computer is on or off.

Any ideas as to what this could be? Power supply? Logic board? I want to fix this computer if I can.

My hard drive is 20 GB. If the cost of repair is beyond reasonable, how could I recover the data on the Hard drive without a working Powerbook?

PM Update: I got the normal startup chime and screen display back by reseting the power manager, disconnecting the power cord and battery for 5+ minutes, then zapping the PRAM several times. There is life in there, however in will only startup to the grey Apple screen with the "C" key pressed on start with the OS X CD. Without the CD, starts only to a grey screen.

In summary, in normally starts to a grey screen. Starting with the "C" key and utitlity or OS CD it starts to a grey apple screen then freezes there. What causes this?

I hope this narrows down the problem.. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:50 am 
Site Admin

Make sure the processor is seated correctly. Remove it, and then put it back in. If it boots after this, then it is likely you have a processor failure. It is either that or your logic board.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]