Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: pismo not starting - with a twist
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:15 am 
I just read rees´s and dc429uk´s posts about their G3/400 pismo not starting up, i´m having the exact same problem:

<quote>
The computer becomes warm if left on and the caps-lock and num-lock lights work. the battery also charges OK.....I have had the issue with the screen going almost black a few times in the past months, but after restarting everything was OK...No bootup, black screen, no bootup sound; but the CPU or hard disk is still making whispered Running noise
</quote>

The twist is that i´ve discovered that if i pressure down the top case around the trackpad area (and keep it pressed), the computer starts up and seems to work fine. If i release my hand, screens goes blank displaying funky squares. Someone mentioned that it could be a processor issue, but given the area were i make pressure i´ve come to think that it could be a power supply card problem (which sits right underneath the trackpad), whether it is broken, damaged or just badly seated i don´t know. I took my powerbook to tech service here (i live in Spain) and they told me that this problem cannot be fixed here, that apple´s policy is to send certain models (like powerbooks) to Holland where they are serviced and fixed for a flat fee of 600EUR (around 610USD).

I don´t have that much money, and i´m not ready to declare my pbook dead.

What could be happening? Could it really be the power supply card? Or the processor (i´ve seated and reseated it countless times)? Should it be a processor or PSC problem, could i install it by myself or is that rocket science? Any help will be greatly appreciated, i´m losing my hope that i can fix my pbook here without going broke.

Thanks a lot

edgar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:14 am 
Site Admin

The first thing I'd try in your situation is to replace the charger / power board... (also known as PMU) If that isn't the problem then it is the logic board, but that is most likely the problem.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:43 am 
Just out of curiosity, is there a chance that such a behavior is caused by a faulty keyboard?

thanks,

edgar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

It would be highly unlikely.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]