Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: OSX kills pismo and thrashes hard drive
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:20 am 
My pismo has a problem where it seems to dislike OSX. OS9 installs and runs ok. With OSX, after a while it has a crash and the hard drive is all messed up. This has happened several times. I have tried various troubleshooting; disk repair utilities, re-formatting, reinstalls, swapping hard drives etc. It always happens again. I'm at wit's end. What could be the trouble?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:11 am 
Site Admin

If a reinstall doesn't work, you may want to erase and reformat your drive.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:19 pm 
Thanks for the reply. I have already tried that route. Is it possible there is a hardware problem? I tried the hardware test CD and it passed all the tests. It's terribly unusable, never knowing when the computer will crash, mess up the disk and require a reformat and reinstall. I have used installed another disk drive and it shows the same problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:00 am 
Site Admin

What version of OSX are you trying? 10.0 will have problems, but Jaguar should run smoothly. It could be a sign of processor failure.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:32 pm 
I had the same thing happen to me and now its a beautiful door stop.

I spent a few months and a lot of money trying to bring my machine back to life but it died every rebuild. And none of the service centers could figure out what was wrong even though they could duplicate the problem.

I would recommend moving on and buying either a new PB or find an old one for cheap.

:cry: Sorry your going through this. BTW is your machine a 400 Prismo? This is the machine that died on me. My 500 seems to be fine.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:07 pm 
Bradley, This is happening with Jaguar. I think it could be a flaky processor.

Junko, thanks for the personal story. I'm sorry to hear it happened to you. Mine is a 500 MHz Pismo, so its not at 400 thing. Did you ever go so far as to replace the processor? I hate to let it go, since the Pismo was such a great machine. But perhaps its time to sell it for parts. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:53 am 
Site Admin

I'd replace the processor. It sounds like that is the culprit. We just lowered the prices on the G3 900MHZ upgrades today if you wanted to go the upgrade route.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]