Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: AC Board will not remain seated
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:23 am 

New problem. The AC Board will not remain seated. I had everything operational (see below) But after shutting down and a couple of days later I get nothing when trying to start up. The battery is full.
This time I opened it up and took out the HD first so I could look at the AC Board connection and sure enough the left end is raised from the Logic Board where their connection is. I assume they should be mated pretty closely. How can I get it to stay connected. When it is connected it works.
In answer to your response on my previous post:
The burn is 3 inches from the AC board and the HD cable is charred. I wonder what could have caused that. I am noticing that the AC adapter gets pretty warm and there has also been the occasional arc upon plugging it in as I mentioned. I showed the case at the Apple Store and they said they'd never seen a burn mark like that.
I was impatient so I put electrical tape over the burned spot on the cable and went ahead with the logic board install. I got absolutely nothing the first time I tried to start up but went back in and discovered the processor was not seated properly. That's difficult to do. There is nothing to press down on but the processor board itself. I still got nothing so I went back to the AC board and saw it wasn't seated properly but again it was difficult to manipulate that connection. Nevertheless I do now have a functioning Pismo albeit with a piece of electrical tape helping out. Techtool says everything is fine so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The instructions would be improved if:
- They gave tips for re-assembling. Getting connections seated correctly is tricky because it's not always clear what it's safe to push on without causing damage.
- They noted that if you have a CD/DVD installed there is an extra step. I missed that detail and was trying in vain to remove the touchpad/cover without removing a screw that is hidden under the CD drive.
- They mentioned the metal piece under the power button clutch cover. It fell off when I was disassembling and it took me two tries to figure out how it went back in.
Thanks for your help.
Brian F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:10 am 
Site Admin

The AC Board should remain seated correctly if none of the pins are bent, and all of the screws are in the correct place properly seating the trackpad. Make sure the long silver screw closest to the Sound / AC Board is in correctly and that the screw immediately underneath the sound board is in correctly. Also make sure the trackpad is firmly clasped all the way around the powerbook.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:57 pm 

Thanks Bradley,
I'm up and running even with the one broken pin.
I'm writing this from my PB via airport.
Thanks again.
Brian

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]