Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pismo white screen freeze redux - burned HD cable
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:31 am 

Bradley,
Help. Everything has gone easily until the AC sound board connectors. They are stubborn but my real problem is one that went unnoticed until now.

The Hard Drive cable has a burn on it - when the drive is upside down the burn is on the left side at the wide end of the cable - on the wide shiny band that runs along the left edge (where the cable is folded, next to the wide pin connector). There is also a burn mark/dimple all the way through the bottom of the PB case, below the burn spot on the HD cable! How could that happen?
Can I just replace the cable or is it likely the drive is fried? I can't see any visible distortion or burn marks on the drive itself near the burned spot on the cable. Could the AC adapter have caused this? I have over time noticed occasional arcing when plugging it into the PB.

The processor does look like your picture but I wonder if the bottom of the processor heat shield should have a black square of material stuck to it with a rectangular imprint in the center of the square - is this normal? Or should this be attached to the processor instead?
Could the processor have fried?
Is there a chance the problem is isolated or are all the components suspect?

Remember my symptoms are: Pismo 400 - had occasional freezes - often after going into sleep mode. This time it wouldn't start up again. I get a single chime then a white screen that may flicker once. Sometimes there will be the pointer frozen on screen but mostly nothing at all just the white screen. I hear the drive I think - power up then down maybe twice then silence. I cannot startup from the CD at least with my techtool pro disk. there is no difference in the symptoms when I press C with the CD installed or with the shift key pressed during startup.

Should I even bother replacing the logic board I bought before I replace the HD cable and maybe the HD or processor ?? How fast could you get me a replacement cable? (Or should I be shopping for a new PB? - wishful thinking)
It would seem my hopes of saving our non-profit money has backfired. I can envision shipping costs on several successive items as I try to replace one component at a time...HD cable...HD...processor... AC Board...ouch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:51 am 
Site Admin

Brian,

The sound Board connectors will be stubborn if the connectors get slightly bent. Look at the connectors and see if any are bent and then with a flathead screwdriver, put them back in position if they are bent. If you still can't get the card to seat, then you may want to take the logic board out, visually seat the card and then put it back with the card attached.
As for the burn, it's a weird position to have one as the closest piece of hardware to the point you describe is the Sound / AC Board. How close to the sound board is the burn mark? The odd are that your hard drive is fine, but you may need a hard drive cable depending on how bad the burn is. Pictures would help if you had them.
As for the processor, what you describe is usual of a processor that has had a lot of use. However it could possibly be the cause of your problems.
Let me know what other questions you have.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:53 pm 

The burn is 3 inches from the AC board and the HD cable is charred. I wonder what could have caused that. I am noticing that the AC adapter gets pretty warm and there has also been the occasional arc upon plugging it in as I mentioned.
I was impatient so I put electrical tape over the burned spot on the cable and went ahead with the logic board install. I got absolutely nothing the first time I tried to start up but went back in and discovered the processor was not seated properly. That's difficult to do. There is nothing to press down on but the processor board itself. I still got nothing so I went back to the AC board and sawt it wasn't seated properly but again it was difficult to manipulate that connection. Nevertheless I do now have a functioning Pismo albeit with a piece of electrical tape helping out. Techtool says everything is fine so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The instructions would be improved if:
- They gave tips for re-assembling. Getting connections seated correctly is tricky because it's not always clear what it's safe to push on without causing damage.
- They noted that if you have a CD/DVD installed there is an extra step. I missed that detail and was trying in vain to remove the touchpad/cover without removing a screw that is hidden under the CD drive.
- They mentioned the metal piece under the power button clutch cover. It fell off when I was disassembling and it took me two tries to figure out how it went back in.
Thanks for your help.
Brian F

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]