Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: HD upgrade
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:09 pm 

I love my good old workhorse Pismo which I upgraded some two years ago with a new Combo Drive (slot loading) and a G4 processor (plus a lot of support from Bradley - thanks again :D). The combo drive is not working very well - it takes a lot of hard work and persuation to get it to eject discs - the processor, however, works like a charm
Still, I have felt the pressure to take the leap into the 21st century - and I finally convinced myself into buying an almost-new black macbook with a 200 GB HD and the original 80 GB Toshiba MK 8032GSX hard drive on the side. I now wonder whether I can recycle the leftover 80 GB hd as internal drive in my Pismo?

Post subject: Re: HD upgrade
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

The 80gb is a sata drive which won't work with the pismo which used the old IDE drives. About all it is good for is putting in an external enclosure and using as a backup drive.

We sell the sata enclosures on our site.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:35 pm 

Thanks a TB for that info. I suspected something in that direction, and have now moved on to the next bright idea - that won't work for me. I would really like my pismo to run OS Tiger - I have the CD-rom discs that originally came with my blackbook (which has been upgraded to leopard; but those discs I don't have...).
I have tried to boot the pismo from the install disc (using either the internal SUPER (not combo :? !) drive that I bought from pbmedic or using the "new" macbook as external firewire unit).
It starts up allright, but then I get a long message about some kind of "CPU panic" -" unable to find driver for this platform; "powerbook 3,1"" - and a lot of information about backtracing chains that could be written in chinese as far as I'm concerned. It's completely non-sensial to me.
I have also tried to erase the previously installed OS (9.2.2/Leopard) - same thing happens.

As far as I know the pismo should be able to run with Tiger - but perhaps not with the G4 processor installed??? PLEASE, someone, help me on this one - the week-end is almost over in Denmark, and I really need to go to work tomorrow... :mrgreen: (well, there's another end next week, I guess - but it's hard to let these problems sit).

And I need to decide wether it's worth the effort (and money) to change the super drive once again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

You are probably using restore disks which sometimes only work for those certain machines. You'd have to get a retail tiger disk for it to work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:22 pm 

Thanks for a speedy (although somewhat disappointing) answer. I'll go get myself some real discs, I think, and get my old friend back to work.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]