Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pismo loses power when display housing is moved slightly
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:55 am 

I have a PB Pismo, and everything works fine if I don't touch the display housing. If I move it forward or back an inch, the machine loses power. I then restart and everything works fine again. Unless I move the display housing. What could this be? I checked the display connections, and everything seems firmly connected. There is a small crack on the backside of the display housing, near where it connects to the lower part of the pb. Any thoughts on what this could be and what I may need to replace?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:26 pm 

are you sure it's powering off and not just the backlite is going out???? My Pismo 400 is doing something similar. When I move or tap on the keybd area, or screen the the screen goes black. When looking at it close, the computer is on and I can faintly see the desktop of my mac. I replaced the flex cable, (the cable that runs from the back of the screen to the main logic bd) inverter board, and the screen and the problem still persists.

I'm not sure what to tell you if it's powering off. It could be a short. Also, there is a power board (where the ac adaptor cord plugs in )near that area. that could be the problem.

Post subject: G3 Pismo dies similarly with battery in left bay
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:29 pm 
I had a similar experience, with the Powerbook suddenly going totally dark with a slight movement. It does not happen if the left bay is empty. . This happens whether or not it's got the power adapter plugged in. Looking inside the bay reveals nothing apparently out of the ordinary. And it has happened with three different batteries. It doesn't happen with the DVD drive or the battery in the right bay.

However, it is not just the display (I don't believe) but the entire machine just quits. I fixed these for a living a few years back and never saw a machine with this problem. I could do a complete tear-down but I'm hoping someone has a clue as to what I should be looking for.

Post subject: Re: Pismo loses power when display housing is moved slightly
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:26 am 
Site Admin

When this issue occurs, look very closely at the display, if you're able to make out images, then this is a problem with your inverter board or cable. If the machine is actually shutting down, then the problem is likely going to be with the Sound / AC board.

-Bradley
PowerbookMedic

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]