Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Totally Dead Pismo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:29 pm 

I have a G3 Pismo which I think is a 400mhz 256/20GB. I say “I think” that’s the configuration because it is a couple of years since I used it and I’ve forgotten exactly what it was. I loaned it to my daughter when I bought an iBook but I guess she has used the G3 no more than 6 or 7 times in 2 years and hasn't been used it at all for at least 6 months. I've just got it back from her and tried to power it up and zilch. Nothing. Absolute zero. No lights, no sounds, nothing on the screen, just dead. This is with or without the battery plugged into the mains power. I’ve tried the normal keyboard reset and tried holding the little reset thingy round the back but still a big ZERO

Just before I loaned it to my daughter it had a new A/C adaptor because the original was a little temperamental. I’ve tried it with both.

Is it likely to be the PRAM battery or have both A/C adaptors gone? Is there anyway I can test them? Or is it something else? Has anyone any ideas?

DanW

Post subject: same here
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:39 pm 

I have exactly the same issue. Pismo that's been fairly unused. Sitting... I started by charging it without the removable battery to try and get some juice back to the PMU battery, reset the manager with and without juice attached, no luck. Looking at a battery replacement myself, don't want to have to tear it down to the PMU board, but I will if I have to.

Post subject: dead pismo
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:58 am 

Sounds like problems but no solutions as of yet. For over a year I noticed that when the pismo was not used for weeks or months it was very slow to respond to start up. Sometimes the power adapter was connected for a day or two before it would power up. I have not used the pismo for a couple of months and have had the power adapter plugged in for a week yet my old faithful will to respond. I tried the keyboard tweak with no luck. The power adapter is getting household power but it is just slightly warm when in the past in was very warm.

Am I correct to assume a new power adapter is in order?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:06 am 

When you depress the button on the face of the battery, how many lights come on? Batteries are only good for so long and could lose their life, but in my experience they will still start with the battery out and runs off the power supply just fine, I ran it like that for more than a week before the new battery came!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:54 am 

If you remove the keyboard and whatever you have in the right bay you will see a red and black connectore on the mother board. Remove that and try to power up. Then plug it back in once power is on.

Likely is that you have a dead pram battery.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]