Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Batteries won't charge!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:50 pm 
I have a Pismo (500 mhz). Recently, my battery started dying and wouldn't recharge. I chalked this up to a dead battery and bought a new one. The exact same thing happened!

Recently, I just replaced the PMU -- NO LUCK! The batteries are not recognized in either bay, and do not charge. The indicator lights don't even blink!

Any similar problems or suggestions anyone?

George
gbrozak@aol.com

ps - anyone tried using a black brick/Lombard power adapter with the Pismo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:34 am 
Site Admin

Did you replace the board that looks like a "t" (aka charger board?) The problem is either that or your battery.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:03 pm 

I have the same problem.

My Pismo won't recharge any batteries.

What I did was:
I went to the closest Apple Store (1.5 hours away) and they tested it out with their batteries and power adaptor. The same problem happened: no charge.

They sent it away for a PMU replacement, and when they received it after the replacement, they tried their power adaptor, and it recharged my dead battery. I then tried recharging it using my power adaptor, and it wouldn't charge. :oops:

I just ordered a new power adaptor, and will hopefully see if the problem was with my current power adaptor, and perhaps a combination with a PMU problem. I just hope that since I'm still using my current power adaptor, that it won't damage the PMU again, if it did in the first place.

I would recommend trying another yo-yo power adaptor, since you already replaced your PMU. Good luck. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:42 am 
Site Admin

Sounds odd to me. If your computer works fine on your power adapter then it should charge your batteries. The PMU (Power / Charger) board is responsible for the charging of the batteries, so if your batteries aren't charging it is either A.) Your battery is completely dead B.) Your charger board.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:28 pm 

Yeah, it is an odd problem, but the Apple Technician at the Genuis Bar knew all of the above, and he still didn't rule out the possibility of a power adaptor failure, especially since my dead battery did recharge on theirs on not on mine, after receiving it back from Apple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

I've never seen an adapter cause the problem when the unit runs fine on the adapter, but if the new adapter fixes the problem, post it here.

-Bradley
Powerbookmedic.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:33 pm 

I should receive my new power adaptor tomorrow. I wished FedEx delivers on Sat, because I would have received it yesturday. :sad:

Whether it solves my problem or not, I will post the results. I hope my problem is solved though. I don't want to send my Pismo away again. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:20 pm 

IT'S ALIVE!!! :o

Yes, it's true, my PowerBook can finally recharge it's batteries after replacing the power adapter as well.

I wonder if it was actually a combo of both the PMU and the power adapter. In some cases, it could be the battery. :?

It was weird, because at first, even with the Apple Store's power adapter, it wouldn't charge. Then, the PMU was replaced and they used their power adapter, and it charged. I used my power adapter, and it didn't charge like before. I bought a new one, and it's as good as new! :wink:

8)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]