Easy Search [ ? ]

* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:21 pm 

Joe,

I think you will find the Ceramique so thick that a credit card is useless, spreading a thin coat on such a tiny surface only works well with the covered fingertip. Its more like peanut butter than toothpaste consistency.

I think its better to spread the thin coat around the full surface rather than a drop in the center, expecting it to be spread out automatically.

Also, be aware that the CPU's AS are describing will have a very strong spring clip joining the heatsink to the CPU, ours being different with less direct pressure, so the help in spreading fully.

Just coat all the mating surfaces (CPU face, mating surface of heatsink, full surface of other side of heatsink and full surface of heat sheild) with a very thin, spread out covering of Ceramique and you will be set.

Start out with a tiny bit and add more as needed to make the coating. The CPU face side will be that 1/2 grain rice size amount, the heat shield side much more, of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:57 am 

Bruce-

Well, I completed the job this evening. It was a bit tedious but I was careful and did it well. I did see that plastic shield you were speaking of, it is there. I just hadn't noticed it.

So far, my temps are the same... even a degree hotter (I've only checked the no fans, full G3/900 usage temp). I know that some compound has to get settled to achieve full effect though.

Here's a question- my temp. gauge is on top of the heat shield (cage that goes over the daughtercard). I think that's where you put yours, but would it stand to reason that as the cage pulls more heat from the CPU it will get hotter?

Additionally, I know that too much grease is as bad as too little, I covered both the copper side and the heat shield mating surfaces according to your instructions. Perhaps I should have only covered one side? On the CPU, I only coated the CPU. I could easily remove the shield though and add some on the copper if needed.

I'm only wondering because I'm approaching 140 deg. F. now, and I don't think I ever went that high before.

I'll try and report back after more use.

QUICK UPDATE: After posting this, I surfed for about an hour or so w/o any fans. The temp eventually leveled off around 143-144. It's making me think that maybe my previous temps were off... I didn't not let them go for more than 5-10 minutes, when they seemed to level off, but maybe they were going to go higher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:22 pm 

Joe,

That's where I put my sensor, centered between the two screw holes on the heat shield. Actually, that spot will be a bit lower temp, the highest temp can't be measured, being the CPU core itself.

Sounds like you applied the Ceramaqiue well. I just put a thin coat on both side of CPU and mating copper spot to be sure of full coverage. But one-sided coating should work as well.

Without any fans running, those temps aren't abnormally high. I use the two fans with mine 90% of use, so am used to that reference point. Try the fans in use and see what temps you get.

Post subject: reporting in
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:38 pm 
900 mhz in a Pismo; I'm using for heatsink-stickum some of the fancy thin heat tape I got as a sample, a tiny square on top of the CPU and a larger amount to hold the big copper plate in position.

Looking at the stock heatsink/heatpipe, I see the slight extra thickness of the 900 mhz CPU would indeed lift the keyboard slightly, and i haven't wanted to mess with it.

But I keep wondering if I can find a precision machine shop that could measure and grind out the 'socket' in the stock heatsink -- there's enough thickness in the metal that it could be ground down a bit, maybe enough so it would fit over the thicker 900 mhz chip; dab a bit of Ceramique in there and it ought to be the best possible heat remover.

On a different tack, I am using the PCMCIA card fan (thanks again for the reference!) and one of the Compusa temp sensors just tucked into the keyboard slot next to the middle latch,

Without the card fan on, with that temp sensor, I see 114 F (probably +/- 3 degrees, since the two sensors in the Compusa thing disagree by 3 degrees always!). By comparison, the air temperature here in Berkeley this morning at my desk is a brisk 60 F, so that's the input air temp.

Plugging the PCMCIA card fan in, reading down to 102 F in about 10 minutes, still from right next to the middle keyboard latch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:27 pm 

Hey Bruce Miller, Joe, & anyone else who could be of help . . .

Any ideas of hot to use the "Just Cooler" PC MCIA fan card on a Wallstreet G3 that has been upgraded with a Sonnet Crescendo/WS G4 500 MHz card and 512 MB RAM? Without the fan, it is now running incredibly hot with lots of freezes, etc. I'm using OS 9.2.

When I plugged the fan in the card slot, it immediately started up which seemed like good news . . . until my Wallstreet put up a dialogue box saying that the card was not recognized and asked if I would like to "initialize it" as a 16MB drive. Huh? Hitting "cancel" ejects the fan from the card slot - hitting "continue" and the initialization is unsuccessful and the fan is also ejected.

Do you know of a way to modify preferences in OS 9 to allow this card (fan) to stay in with power but remain unread? A way to skip over the dialgoue box? Or is there a hardware modification that I could make to the fan/card so that power is maintained to the card (fan) but without anything else being asked of the card?

Thanks,

Charlie White

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:52 am 

Update on PC MICA "Just Cooler" Fan. I found a way (not a pretty way mind you) to run the "Just Cooler" Fan in OS 9.2.

After start-up, plug in the fan and before the "Disk Initialization" Dialogue Box appears, hold down the function key (fn) and swipe a finger back and forth down the F1 through F12 keys. A couple of dialogue boxes related to this action will appear that can be quickly canceled, however once this is done the fan runs continuously, will shut off when the computer is put to sleep, & re-start upon wake up.

In an effort to isolate the fix, I tried the above hitting only one "F_" key and the "fn" key for all F1 - F12. No such luck - disk initialization dialogue box appeared each time. Next I'll try two or three key combos and will post when I have found a "cleaner" solution.

By the way, I really like this fan . . . keeps the processor very cool, fewer heat-related crashes, & increased processor speeds.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3